Steeping and Sparging qustions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pi Kapp Beer Guy

Reaction score
This is going to be my second brew and the steeping of specialty grains sounds good to me and fairly easy. However this leads to a few questions that i am sure most of you all have more than an abundance of knowledge about.

1. I have read several threads about specialty grains and it is a lot like making tea. However then they all mention sparging, what exactly is this step? Is it just pouring hot water through the grains i have already steeped? Do i just use the water that i have steeped the grains in?

2.I am also trying to decide if i should use Cara Pils to add body, the snag is that i have read it will create a starch haze to the beer. Should i just use Malto Dextrin Sugar or should i use the Cara Pils?

As always your insight is appreciated. :D

1. Yep, you can 'teabag' or put the grain in a strainer & pour hot water over it. The purpose is to wash the flavors & sugars out, so new water is best.

2. MD is a better choice for extract brewing.

I use CaraPils all the time. Irish Moss helps with the haze as well as aging in secondary. I've steeped grains since day one. I have a strainer that fits over my brew pot (4 gal) that I strain my grain bag in. I simply make a pot of water in my coffee maker and use that to sparge the grain bag. The water is at about 170* and I SLOWLY trickle the water over the bag to get all the flavor and sugars out. Temps higher than 180* will pull off flavors from the grain husks so watch that.

PM me your email address and I'll email you a great article from BYO magazine that goes into detail about the process of steeping specialty grains. I'd post it here, but the mods say it's a no no (rightfully so, most likely).

Back