dry hop addition to NB extract kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncweasel

Reaction score
I bought 2 Northern Brewer extract kits this week and was thinking about using up some extra hops i have in the freezer to dry hop the kits.

I have 1 oz of Cascade pellet hops i was going to use in the Shining Star Pale Ale kit. And 1 oz of Willamette that I was going to add to the dry hop addition in the RyePA kit.

Any thoughts on this?

Cascade is great for dry hopping, willamette I've not tried. If you are trying the kits for the first time I would wait. I like to try them as is then make my adjustments. But brew as your gut tells you.

Both should be good for dry hopping, the Cascade should add citrus/grapefruit flavor/aroma. The Willamette spicy/earthy. Neither should add bitterness when dry hopping, I'd go for it. But I like experimenting:)

I'm going to do my first dry hop once my first IIPA is done fermenting. I've read to use at least 2 oz. But those are for ipa's, but I'm sure an oz will add to some aroma. I'm all for trying it out. :)

thanks for all the advice.

Sweed, i looked at the RyePA recipe instructions and it only has a half oz of Palisade for dry hopping so i may add the 1 oz of Willamette. The PA kit doesn't include any hops for dry hopping so maybe will leave that one alone.

I once made the mistake of not labeling my fermenting buckets when I had multiple batches fermenting at once. Had an Oberon clone and an apricot blonde fermenting at the same time thinking I would remember which is which. Long story short, I forgot which was which and ended up adding apricot puree to my Oberon clone making it an apricot wheat which still turned out pretty tasty. I always dry hop my Oberon clone with 2 oz of Cascade so since I goofed on the Oberon, I dry hopped the blonde ale and it turned out great! I love my hops so if I were you, I'd dry hop! :mug:

gonna dry hop for sure. bought 1 oz of Columbus today to go with 1 oz of Cascade i already have. I probably will be brewing it this weekend but first have to bottle a all Cascade IPA.

Back