Is this foam stopping my stirplate aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacaman

Reaction score
This is the first time making a yeast starter this big (1.75L). My stir plate has created a lot of foam and i can no longer see a vortex. I am wondering if this is going to be a problem with the yeast propagation? Thanks!

foam.JPG

Edit: this ended up going so high that it was dripping out of the top of the glass. I had to stop the stir plate for the night.

Was this the right move?

I think it should be fine. Start the stirplate back up after it calms down.

I squeeze one of these anti-gas capsules into my starters. Very little foaming, even on 2L starters. The inactive ingredients are all part of the capsule, which I throw away. The active ingredient is very close to, if not the same as, Fermcap.

Good suggestions, but unfortunately I don't have those products. In the morning I had a yeasty mess all over my stir plate, and don't know what to do lol. I'm pretty much just shaking it manually every so often now.

I might end up throwing this batch of 1056 away in the name of experience. I have 2 Shakespeare stout bombers that I plan to steal pacman yeast from soon anyways.

I think its safe to say your starter is going great! I'd say with that much activity the yeast is probably past the 'growth' stage and is why you got so much krausen overnight.

can probably crash cool for decanting soon if you want. Probably.

Back