Midwest Supplies woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexus555

Reaction score
Ahh this sucks! I am a new brewer, and about 4 weeks ago I ordered my ingredients from these guys, and it took a little longer than expected to get in.... not too big of a deal I guess.

Well last week I ordered a thermostat for my old refrigerator. I waited anxiously for a week and it came in yesterday!! I was a happy man when I came home and saw the little box out on my porch.

Well I plugged the thermostat up and went to Wal Mart to get a self adhensive hook, so it would hang on my refrigerator properly. Well I applied the hook to my refrigerator, and went to hang the thermostat on the hook and guess what? I am looking at the thermostat and the insides glow a bright yellow color and I hear "POP."

That scared the crap out of me!!! Luckily I was not electrocuted, nor was my refrigerator fried or any breakers in my house. However, the thermostat is now dead. I am lucky that I am not dead since I was holding the thermostat and it shorted out (or whatever.)

I know, I should have probably unplugged it before I hung it on the frig. However, that's pretty cheesey of the thermostat to have little chains that dangle and are supposed to go INSIDE an electrical device. I'm assuming when I went to hang it that the little chains rubbed something in there.

Oh well, at least midwest is being kind and sending me a replacement. I can't complain too much. I get a replacement plus me and my house/refrigerator are ok. But it still sucks to wait another week or so before I get it!! I'm tired of running my AC on 68 degrees and only keeping my fermenter at 72, lol.

Anyways thanks for reading my rant!!

thats sucks, lucky to be alive though!
the midwest guys are great, I live about 20 minutes from there shop and 20 minutes from northern brewer to!

mot said:
the midwest guys are great, I live about 20 minutes from there shop and 20 minutes from northern brewer to!

mot, you're livin' in Homebrew Store Heaven! Those are 2 great stores, and if I order before noon, NB will get it to me here in Iowa the next day.

Yeah, those are the two stores that I use for my supplies. Havent had any problems with either of them.

Glad they took care of you with a replacement.

I feel bad for you and all, but I fail to see how any of this is Midwest's fault. The mail is often slow and sometimes products are faulty. They're sending you a new one - so you really should be singing their praises.

After rereading my post, I don't see where I put any blaim on Midwest. I started with the mailing taking a little too long but like I said, not a big deal. And the thermostat blowing couldn't be their fault unless they manufactor their own thermostat. Just saying for 2 orders and 2 problems, it must just be bad luck. BTW mailing problems would be Fed Ex's fault.

Nexus555 said:
After rereading my post, I don't see where I put any blaim on Midwest. I started with the mailing taking a little too long but like I said, not a big deal. And the thermostat blowing couldn't be their fault unless they manufactor their own thermostat. Just saying for 2 orders and 2 problems, it must just be bad luck. BTW mailing problems would be Fed Ex's fault.
I think it may be the thread title that is confusing some of us. At least it was for me before I read the post.

I have to counter the post with the extraordinary service I've received.

I once ordered ingredients for my Belgian Wit all grain. They were out of the Wyeast Belgian yeast I wanted a substituted White Labs (a more expensive yeast) for no additinal charge. Last week, they sent me Saaz hop plugs (upgrade) for no additional charge.

Anytime I have a special request like (could you make sure this goes out by tomorrow...or call my cell phone if there are any problems...) they always comply.

In fact, my double order for Belgian Wit ingredients just got delivered to my front door about an hour ago. (I placed the order Tuesday morning).

Alright guys I do not want a debate on the topic. All I'm saying is it took longer than expected to ship, and it wasn't a big deal. And I was just a little upset for waiting a week for a thermostat, and then it nearly kills me when it comes in. I'll take the "woes" as "calamity" from the dictionary. And I fully understand that both cases are not their faults directly.

I did let them know that they should add the 1-2 packaging days into their estimated delivery time sheet on their website.

Anyways, there is no more need for midwest supplies supportive post. I know they're a good and decent site. I got my kit from them, ingridients, and everything so far. I actually even had a broken auto siphon from them when I received my kit. Not complaing about them, it's just annoying that every order has had some kind of problem so far. Complaining in general I suppose.

Yeah, sounds like a design flaw with the Johnson Controller. I have one of those too and it comes with two little snaps that connect to the holes in the back so you can connect the chain. I can see how folks can leave a bunch of extra chain inside though, and yes, you are lucky you did not get a jolt.

It's very nice of Midwest to replace it for you.

Blender said:
I think it may be the thread title that is confusing some of us. At least it was for me before I read the post.
Yep.

Seems to me (right or wrong) the title did all the finger pointing. Judging from the bulk of posts, I'm not alone...

EdWort said:
...Johnson Controller...

Uhhhh...huh, huh... you said "Johnson"...

mot said:

Now I know where I want to relocate to!!!!!

Nexus555 said:
How many times must a man explain himself?

No need to repeat here, as I got your point easily. Im glad you didnt get hurt, thats the main thing, and that Midwest is cool as usual. It sucks when you get bad luck like that with products going weird on you, and being defective like that. Murphy's Law sucks!

So much of brewing is in the planning, and when that goes awry, waiting sucks for sure. Good luck on your next one!

Back