help: Imperial Russian Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerJeff

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready to brew a Stone Brewery Imperial Russian Stout recipe kit from AHS and wanted to get a few tips before I begin brewing this BIG beer. This kit was not cheap, so I want to get my gameplan setup ahead of time. The target OG is 1.098 I believe.

This kit came with Wyeast London ESB 1968. I made a 2 liter starter, decanted, and added another 2 liter of starter wort. I let it sit on the stir plate a couple days and now it's currently cold crashed in my fridge. I'll decant most of the wort before pitching. This yeast also recommends a thorough diacetyl rest which is an aspect of brewing that I'm new to.

I generally ferment in my basement which is 63-64 degrees. That temp is on the far low side for this yeast.

Here is what I think I should do. I'm still new so please let me know if you have suggestions to make the final product better.

1) Remove the starter 30 mins before pitching to let it warm up "a little", but I'll still be pitching cool.

2) Cool wort down to 64 degrees (Same temp as my basement), add 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrients, and pitch starter.

3) Move fermenter to my basement and begin initial fermentation at 64 degrees.

Now here is when it gets fuzzy. I need to do a diacetyl rest which from my understanding involves moving the fermenter to a warmer area and letting the yeast clean up after themselves.

Do I wait X-Days, or do I wait until fermentation is complete before moving to a warmer area (72 degrees) for the diacetyl rest? How long is the rest period? Do I move it back to a colder area after the rest?

This is highly flocculant yeast with a low attenuation. I have a feeling I'll need swirl this batch to keep the yeast in suspension. I figured I would start doing this at about day 3-4? Do I do this during the diacetyl rest?

I'm not using a secondary for this beer. My plan was to leave it in the primary for at least 4 weeks.

Thanks for any help/suggestions :mug:

I think 64 will be fine considering it will actually be warmer due to the yeast fermenting. Also, check this thread out about diacetyl rests https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/preventing-diacetyl-hold-butter-please-70438/.

Thanks for the reply!

So in a nutshell.. RDWHAHB :drunk: I'll just leave it in the primary for a good 4-6 weeks which was my original plan.

Any thoughts on moving it to a secondary to bulk age for a few months, or is bottle conditioning just as effective?

Also.. After day 3 should I start to swirl the primary?

Thanks for the reply!

So in a nutshell.. RDWHAHB :drunk: I'll just leave it in the primary for a good 4-6 weeks which was my original plan.

Any thoughts on moving it to a secondary to bulk age for a few months, or is bottle conditioning just as effective?

Also.. After day 3 should I start to swirl the primary?

Well, I actually have an English Barley Wine in my primary right now that was pitched with 2 packages of Nottingham 8 days ago. Its OG was 1.110 and the gravity it's at right now is 1.028. I've been fermenting at 65*F and have not swirled or anything other than adding 1 lb of sugar at day 5. I will leave it in the primary for 4 weeks at ~65*F, then I'm going to rack to the secondary for 3 months before I bottle. Since I'm bottling this one and not kegging, it will age in the bottles until this time next year before I taste it.

Bumping this thread.

Curious how this kit came out? I have my eye on the same kit and was wondering if it was close to the original.

Cheers,
Phil

It actually came out very very good. I still have quite a bit of it left and so far it's gotten better with age. I've never had the original so I can't compare it, but it's a very good RIS.

It was an all extract version. It was one of the first kits I tried to do. If I remember correctly it came with a huge amount of specialty grains to steep so it was almost a PM in that respect.

Latest posts

Back