First kegged brew, this had better work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt_shovel

Reaction score
Well I took the plunge and invested in some kegging equipment, and tonight I transfered my first batch into a corny keg. I don't currently have CO2 so went the natural carbonation with a 1/2 cup of corn sugar, but I am not sure whether I will get a good seal on the lid without having the CO2 bottle to give it some internal pressure on the lid's o-ring. I left it with the lid almost fully on, with the lid handle slightly raised to get the most amount of lift and pressure. Not too worried, if it doesn't seal I will get some gas onto it eventually and leave it to finish conditioning.

Anyways, if anyone has some bright ideas then great, otherwise I will grab another beer.

Cheers
:mug:

So, you do plan on getting CO2 soon? Reason I ask is because you're going to need it for dispensing. I'm not sure if you need to have any worries about the oxygen left in the keg. Usually keggers purge the oxygen out right after racking to the keg. I would occasionally bleed out the gas as it conditions to ensure you push all the oxygen out.

I'm not sure what you mean about the lid not being fully on. You want the lid to sit on tightly, so it can build up some pressure to carbonate the beer. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you mean.

I'm not sure what you mean about the lid not being fully on. You want the lid to sit on tightly, so it can build up some pressure to carbonate the beer. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you mean.

He's saying that he didn't lock the handle down all of the way, but left it up slightly where it seemed to put more pressure on the lid than it would all of the way down.

He's saying that he didn't lock the handle down all of the way, but left it up slightly where it seemed to put more pressure on the lid than it would all of the way down.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say...

Will purge every now and again to expel air left over from filling. Hoping to get my CO2 bottle filled over the weekend. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back