Brewing a Oktoberfest beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just used that yeast for brewing a kölsch, and it turned out nice and clean, just like a lager (your Oktoberfest) should be. My only concern would be that that yeast attenuates fairly highly and might not leave as much maltiness behind as you are looking for in an Oktoberfest, although you could probably overcome that by using caramel malt. Either way, it's probably one of the better ale yeasts to use, if you don't have the ability to ferment at lager temps.

With that ale yeast, ferment at 60º for a week, transfer to secondary, then lower your temp 5º per day until you get to 35º. Keep it at 35º for as long as possible (at least 4-6 weeks).

With that ale yeast, ferment at 60º for a week, transfer to secondary, then lower your temp 5º per day until you get to 35º. Keep it at 35º for as long as possible (at least 4-6 weeks).

This a very general process. If the beer is not completely finished after a week, let it continue to ferment at 60F. Personally, I would recommend no less than 3 weeks at 60F in the primary. I am an advocate of not using a secondary, crashing the temp to 32F 2-3 days and then keg or bottle.

I would also use Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator and select "Hybrid" from the "Fermentation Type." Try to get the starter to 60F and pitch into the wort at about 60F. I like to take the probe of the Ranco and tape it to the carboy, set it to the desired temp. with a 1deg swing.

You are going to get a lot of opinions on this...
I am not saying this is the best way to do it, but this is how a lot of people do it and I have made quite a few great lagers and hybrid ales this way.

Latest posts

Back