Wort chiller with aluminium pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablo

Reaction score
I've read that copper and aluminium will cause a reaction when in contact with each other. Presumably this happens slowly, however, do other posters do anything to prevent contact. e.g. taping the handles of the wort chiller where they hang over the sides ?

I have an aluminum pot and just drop my wort chiller in the last 15 minutes of my boil and I have had no issues. Mine doesnt hang over the edge so I dont have to worry about taping it, so I can't help you there.

However, I do store my wort chiller in the pot when I am not brewing, so if there is any reaction from contact time, I have not seen it. My wort chiller has been sitting in my brewpot the past 6 months, minus the time im cleaning the pot and the beginning of the boil.

So RDWHAHB and just toss it in :)

+1 on the oxide layer. I forgot to mention that I did boil water in the pots to build that layer.

I have seen the reaction, but it was with a copper immersion chiller placed into an aluminum pot filled with a PBW/water solution and left to soak overnight. Lots of crystals on everything. The pot did have a layer of oxide built up. Lots and lots of scrubbing to remove all of the crystals.

Gotta love family members moving brewing equipment around while you're cleaning it...

For the short time your chiller is submerged in the pot, it's not a worry at all - nor is storing it in the dry pot a problem.

I use a copper immersion chiller in an aluminum pot, and I have no issues at all. I think it's a slow reaction, certainly not an issue for the 30-45 minutes that it's in there.

Back