Sparkoloid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
For those of use with no way to measure a gram of sparkaloid..Im needing to do a one gallon batch...I got the powder and How much in teaspoons or less do I need for this little operation?

My sparkaloid has instructions in teaspoons per gallon. It is the hot mixture, make sure you have that one. But it is: Dissolve 1 tbsp in 1 cup of boiling water for 5 min. Add Mixture to 6 U.S. gal. of wine. Stir gently. Wait 1 week to clear before racking or bottling.

My sparkaloid has instructions in teaspoons per gallon. It is the hot mixture, make sure you have that one. But it is: Dissolve 1 tbsp in 1 cup of boiling water for 5 min. Add Mixture to 6 U.S. gal. of wine. Stir gently. Wait 1 week to clear before racking or bottling.

Thats what mine says also...so Im trying to figure out how much of powder and water for a ONE gallon batch...lol...cant be much really...1/4 teaspoon and 1/4 cup of spring water...I dont want to dilute the mead anymore3 than I have too

Thats what mine says also...so Im trying to figure out how much of powder and water for a ONE gallon batch...lol...cant be much really...1/4 teaspoon and 1/4 cup of spring water...I dont want to dilute the mead anymore3 than I have too

Oh and also...if I put this in and stir..its gonna kick up those lees at the bottom of the carboy (1 gal) problem or no big whoop on that?

should I rack it again then add the sparkaloid?

Sparkolloid does have a disadvantage. It produces very fine lees, and the lees settle out slowly. Consequently, this material should not be used less than 30 days before bottling time, or small amounts may precipitate later in the bottles. Many winemakers allow for an eight-week settling time just to be on the safe side...

These instructions come directly from Scott Laboratories (the manufacturer). Ignore the amounts as they are for a commericial winery, but note the stated process:

A. Preparation of Hot Mix Sparkolloid®
1. Heat to boiling point, 1-2 gallons of water per pound Hot Mix Sparkolloid® used (8-15L/kg). Slowly stir in the Hot Mix Sparkolloid®.
2. Maintain temperature above 82°C (180°F), while agitating the mixture constantly until all of the translucent globules of clarifier have been dissolved and the mixture is smooth and creamy (Approximately 20-30 minutes).
B. Addition to Wine
1. While still hot, slowly add the mixture to the wine. This is easily accomplished by pumping into the vortex of a GUTH agitator or by introducing the hot Sparkolloid into the line while pumping over.
2. Let the wine settle one week or more, depending somewhat on the volume of wine involved, then filter, preferably from the top of the tank.

You will note that these instructions mention "1 week", but that assumes the product will be filtered via a commercial filter. Home brewers should wait at least 30 days before racking after using Sparkalloid. ;)

Oh and also...if I put this in and stir..its gonna kick up those lees at the bottom of the carboy (1 gal) problem or no big whoop on that? should I rack it again then add the sparkaloid?
Sparkalloid is best used after the product is racked off the primary lees - in a secondary. You will soon see why I don't make batches smaller than 3 gallons - racking losses. ;)

Sparkalloid is best used after the product is racked off the primary lees - in a secondary. You will soon see why I don't make batches smaller than 3 gallons - racking losses. ;)

Agreed..this has been racked and topped off over a month ago. But there is still just a little (1/8 inch maybe) lees at the bottom now...so will stirring them with the sparkaloid be a problem or rack once more then add it?

Latest posts

Back