warning: this looks yak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carsick

Reaction score
whats going on here? white bits , black bits , alltough i dont want to im assuming your going to say i have to chuck and start again. also , i wanted to start big , so i bought two large scobys and had them in this one brew , was that a stupid decision?

CIMG0509.jpg

I see some white bits and black bits, but I'm pretty sure it's just the text you wrote. Was there supposed to be a picture, or is there a joke that I'm missing?

Success. I've never made Kombucha, but I'd sure as hell throw that out. Then again, if that's what it's supposed to look like, maybe I'll never make the stuff.

you drink it PJM , daily , very beneficial pro biotic appantly , obviously im new to this

This is normal. Do not trash it. All of the black bits are just dead yeast and by product of the fermentation. The white is new scoby beginning to grow. Fill er up again, and let it ferment. It isn't always pretty, but its normal.

Although you do not need two SCOBY in one batch. Even just a piece of one will do it fine.

This is normal. Do not trash it. All of the black bits are just dead yeast and by product of the fermentation. The white is new scoby beginning to grow. Fill er up again, and let it ferment. It isn't always pretty, but its normal.

thank you for the reassurance , glad i havent thrown it away , been waiting ages to have this daily , today is harvest and rebrew day :ban:

do i just pour more tea sugar mixture in and not interfere with the creation taking place?

but make sure its cool!
enjoy the kombu, and that benefits it brings, ive been drinking mine daily for 6 months and it has done wonders for my IBS!

you dont chew on any of that stuff or anything , theres bountiful clear liquid to be had underneath that mess

i often come across mini scobies in half drunk bottles that i eat just fine.

you can make scoby candy with baby scobies that are thin and young by coating them in sugar overnight then drying them out on the lowest setting in an oven. tasty!

but make sure its cool!
enjoy the kombu, and that benefits it brings, ive been drinking mine daily for 6 months and it has done wonders for my IBS!

what do you mean make sure its cool? ive got it in the airing cuboard so its quite warm. my room temp at the moment is rarther cold , winter in uk. im really likeing it , ive been feeling really good , im flavouring two jars at the moment and scobys are forming , blueberry and ginger scoby sweets haa , i love this stuff:ban:

what do you mean make sure its cool? ive got it in the airing cuboard so its quite warm. my room temp at the moment is rarther cold , winter in uk. im really likeing it , ive been feeling really good , im flavouring two jars at the moment and scobys are forming , blueberry and ginger scoby sweets haa , i love this stuff:ban:

no i meant when adding fresh tea to the mixture, to make sure its cool to not kill the kombu organisms. mine is at room temp in the uk also, i have a massive 3 gal jar that gets drunk every two weeks.

ive got mine in a massive 25 liter bucket , with about 6 liter mix in atm , i want loads instead of the little bit i have everyday now , 25 liters divided by 14 haa. will my kombucha be ok in the airing cuboard next to the boiler , it gets quite warm , about 28 degrees i think , i thought it may be good to begin with while the SCOBY is gettin hold of the fresh mix , little helping hand

Do you leave your Scoby to reproduce in a closed vessel or open? Been thinking of starting some from GT original.

these scobys look fine. i did mine from a gt bottle , in a container that was just covered with cheesecloth & a rubber band. worked great.

Back