Add cayenne pepper to a chocolate stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
So, I've been noticing that lindt and a lot of other companies are starting to throw cayenne peppers in their chocolate. Has anyone tried this in a beer?

I've had a spicy lager once, but it would seem that they used the dry-hop method by adding whole peppers in the secondary. Can't say it was a pleasant experience. I've never tasted a chocolate-cayenne beer though. I'd imagine it would best fit a stout or porter.

The original Aztec hot cocoa included peppers. I make my own in the winter with cocoa powder, powdered milk and red pepper, it is freaking delicious.

I think it would be good, go for it. May only want to do a bottle or two at first. Worst case you would end up witha few bottles of fantastic marinade.

a nice chipotle chocolate stout would be awesome! a lot of people disliked rogue's chipotle ale, but i thought it was grand :)

a nice chipotle chocolate stout would be awesome! a lot of people disliked rogue's chipotle ale, but i thought it was grand :)

I've been thinking about making one of those this winter. The smoke and heat of chipotles would go good with the chocolate. At least in my mind. Who knows how it will actually turn out.

My second batch was my Mexican Chocolate Stout, where I took a chocolate stout recipe I found online and added 1/2tbsp cayenne powder, 1/2tbsp Ancho powder, 2 vanilla beans(secondary) and 2 cinnamon sticks (secondary). It actually turned out pretty good, people seemed to like it at least.

I throw cayenne on everything... So naturally doing this just occurred to me. My main concern was that the cayenne would kill the yeasties.

Back