Corny keg rust???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
I decided i was going to keg 5 gallons of IPA into two 3 gallon cornys tonight. I started to take out the posts so i could every thing sanitized. Upon removal of one of the IN posts, i discovered the small CO2 tube and the poppet were covered in a brown material. My first thought was rust. I thought it might have been dried beer but i throughly washed these kegs after i emptied them. When i washed them, I didnt disassemble the posts, but i certainly ran a ton of dishsoap and starsan through them. Anyone ever see anything like this. I noticed that inside the suspected post, right above the threads, there is a big dark mark. I am not sure of its rust or maybe some soda gum. Also, the CO2 tube has a split in it, if its rust, maybe thats the source? Thanks!

DSC00627.jpg

DSC00626.jpg

DSC00624.jpg

certainly no bleach used here. I was thinking it over, and figured that IF possible, i would just replace the post. Where can you buy a new IN post at? I checked kegconnection, no dice :( :(

Back