Got a Coopers DIY kit for Christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz

Reaction score
Hello, happy new year! I got a Coopers DIY homebrew kit for Christmas and planned on bottling it today (it's been in the big tub for six days) but after a quick scout on here I've decided to leave it for maybe another two weeks before bottling. I found this website after googling "should I bottle homebrew if it's cloudy" because it's very cloudy. My dad used to brew his own beer and did what he called a finger test - if he could see his finger through the beer on the other side of the bottle, it was good enough to drink. The samples I've been putting into the tube for the hydrometer to float in definitely doesn't pass the finger test!

I'm an ultra noob so would appreciate any pointers. Also not gonna lie, I've been struggling to keep my brew (or what I believe you guys call "wort"?) warm, often sitting closer to 18'C rather than the suggested 21+'C. I guess this is why it's taking longer to be ready.

If I leave it for another two weeks is it worth still checking the gravity everyday? My OG was 1.035 and it's currently been 1.018 for two days in a row. (I believe this is the part were you all sigh "hello bottle bomb!" to yourselves??) The [albeit crappy] instructions had suggested FG of 1.006!

Anyone had any experience with the kit I'm using? It seems pretty basic but it seems ideal for me.

Oh, do I need to stir it at all? Obviously I stirred it when I put all the ingredients in at the beginning but haven't done since. It's lager I'm making. Obviously I'ma drink it all regardless of how nice it is cos I made it! Would prefer for it to be right though!

Next step on the instructions is bottle it, but the little capsule thingio in each bottle and then leave it for 15 days, refrigerate for 48 hours and then enjoy. However at the moment it's a cloudy mess! I'll try leaving it for a week at first to see if it improves, but I hope to bottle it on the 14th jan at the latest. What do you experts think?

I have used Coopers kits many times with success. My first go I only left it in for 7 days before bottling and it came out clear in the end. These days I will leave it up to 2 and half weeks. I have not had an issue with clarity with Coopers kits. Give it some time to settle before bottling. It is hard as hell to wait but you need to.
Good luck

Now there is a thoughtful gift !!!

Read all you can and ask questions - the guys here are really helpful and experienced.

I've been brewing Cooper's kits for a year, and aside from the stout, they are all clear for me. The cooler than suggested temp should not be a negative. I usually have mine fermenting at 62-65* with the Cooper's kit yeast. 3-4 weeks is ideal to leave them in the primary fermenter, although my patience is low and I'm lucky to hit a full 3 weeks.....

Which style beer came with the kit?

It came with Lager Concentrate, Brew Enhancer 1 and Carbonation drops.

I guess I'll try to give it another two weeks! I'll keep an eye on the gravity - hopefully it'll drop a bit.

You certainly don't need to check the gravity every day. If I were going to bottle on a Saturday, I would take a gravity reading on the Friday. If that reading is within range, and the same as the previous Friday's reading, then you can bottle. If not, wait another week, and try again.

If you have decided to leave it for another two weeks (which sounds like a good idea), what would be the point of taking daily gravity readings?

-a.

Well it's been bottled for a week, and left in the warmest part of my house - the old airing cupboard! How long would you suggest I leave it before I stick a few in the fridge for two days, and then drink?

Near in mind I have 38 bottles so even if I start drinking early, by the time I get to the last one it will have been carbonating for a long time!

Is ten days okay to drink? I set myself a 3 week target but don't wanna just leave it in there if I could be drinking it already!

Well it's been bottled for a week, and left in the warmest part of my house - the old airing cupboard! How long would you suggest I leave it before I stick a few in the fridge for two days, and then drink?

Near in mind I have 38 bottles so even if I start drinking early, by the time I get to the last one it will have been carbonating for a long time!

Is ten days okay to drink? I set myself a 3 week target but don't wanna just leave it in there if I could be drinking it already!

2-3 weeks is ideal, but who among us has not tried a bottle after 1 week? Go ahead, give it a try, then try another one next week, and another after 3 weeks. That way you can appreciate the difference.

Patience is required to enjoy the fruits of your labour.... It rarely exists in homebrewers who are waiting on beer to condition.
Leave it 3 weeks and while waiting read Revy's thread on bottling beer (you'll find it as a sticky) but do try one for research purposes, only one mind, then another & another and by the time the 3 weeks are up you'll be drinking great beer :) only you'll have none left :(

Back