Should I cold crash my beer for 40 hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAbrewer

Reaction score
I need the slurry in my carboy of Arrogant Bastard clone so that I can transfer a stalled brown ale into it and free up the brown ale bucket for a batch on Sunday. The problem is that the AB batch is only on day 5. It reached it's terminal gravity of 1.018 on day 4 and tasted great. I know people here frown on this, but is there really any reason not to cold crash it starting tonight (day 5) and then transferring to a keg on Sunday morning (~40 hours total)?

even though you may have reached terminal gravity the yeast are usually still working after active fermentation to clean up some of the byproducts of fermentation. when you use proper pitch rates, controlled ferm temps etc you can usually reduce the total time needed on the yeast cake but IMO 5days is prob a bit too short, esp since the AB clone isn't very low OG (presumably)

I would give it a few days at rest to clean itself up a bit (4-6 days is fine) then chill it (I hate the term crash)

The Arrogant Bastard clone does have a bit of an alcohol taste and a lack of the usual AB bitterness bite. So maybe I'll let it hang out on the hops/ yeast and use my finished centennial blond yeast cake instead for this. The AB took off like a rocket though, so that's why I wanted to use it for restarting the stalled batch in the first place.

Back