I'm not crazy.......right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjramm

Reaction score
I did my second Brewer's Best kit and bottled today. I understand that you generally lose some beer when siphoning before and after fermentation. Both times though it has been about 6-8 bottles short of their stated "53 12 oz bottles" on the side of the box. Am I making a big deal out of nothing? Also, could this mean I'm over priming if I use the packet of sugar they include in the kit?

Thanks!

I started brewing using Brewer's Best kits. I never ended up with more than 48 bottles or so. It does depend a lot on how filled you make your bottles. 1 or 1.5" from the top is more beer than 12 oz in most bottles.

You don't really need to secondary unless you are dry hopping a beer. If you just rack (siphon) the primary into your bottling bucket after 2-3 weeks of fermentation you will lose less beer.

I dry hop in primary after FG & the beer settles out clear. I usually get 48 bottles out of 5 gallons. I think I got 51 once.

It's not just a loss from transfer but also to trub loss. If you top off to exactly 5 gallons you can expect to lose .25-.5 gallons IME and yes, you should be priming to the finished volume of beer you bottle.

If you want to bottle a full 5 gallons then the recipe needs to be adjusted to account for the additional volume prior to losses.

I can attest to the 5 gallon batch really being closer to 4.25-4.5. Make sure you top off to 5 gallons in fermenter... I just added 2 gallons of water and thus was off due to the 120 minutes of steeping/boiling. Also led to higher OG's than anticipated.

My first 2 batches I only ended up with about 42 beers, it took me awhile to perfect racking around the trub and getting the last bit of good beer out, my last 4 batches I have been between 48 and 53 beers and I fill just over 5 gallons.

Thanks everyone! On a side note, if I was stupid and only brewed and bottled a pumpkin spice porter today, will it last until next fall with the standard Brewer's Best bottle caps?

Thanks everyone! On a side note, if I was stupid and only brewed and bottled a pumpkin spice porter today, will it last until next fall with the standard Brewer's Best bottle caps?

Not if you drink it before then

You can store capped beer for years as long as your sanitation practice is good.

Technically,you need beers to be high aBV to store well. Hoppy beers need to be consumed in a couple months or less.

I did my second Brewer's Best kit and bottled today. I understand that you generally lose some beer when siphoning before and after fermentation. Both times though it has been about 6-8 bottles short of their stated "53 12 oz bottles" on the side of the box. Am I making a big deal out of nothing? Also, could this mean I'm over priming if I use the packet of sugar they include in the kit?

Thanks!

Yea, this is definitely one of those things I think gets overlooked a little bit among introductory articles and books and whatnot. As others have stated, there are several factors that determine what volume you actually get into your bottles - boil off, cooling shrinkage, loss to trub, gravity samples, etc etc. Hell, there are 128 ounces in a gallon - so even if you misjudge your bucket fill line by ONE TENTH, you'll be short a bottle. between 45-55 is not abmornal in my experience - although getting upwards of 55 and more, you may start to wonder if you added too much top off or something.

A regular gravity porter is not going to improve with that much age. So, I wonder why you wouldn't just drink it when it's ready and brew it again next fall? Especially since you'll get a chance to make changes based on how it turns out this time? I drink pumpkin beers straight through winter - I actually used to stock up on pumpkins in the fall when I bought commercial versions before I started brewing.

Back