Gauge problems and CO2 leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

292beach

Reaction score
I've been having some problems lately with a CO2 leak. I am also having problems with the gas gauges sticking. After a tap tap or flicking the gauge it will show the true measurement. Could the two problems be related?

Thanks,

JB

NO, Kinda,,,, where is your leak? Did you use soap bubbles? What gauge is sticking? Did you valve off the system with the low pressure ajustment? I need more info,, chop chop!

The gauge sticking is the CO2 for the soda keg. I soaped the tank and regulator area, I didn't find a leak. I changed all seals on the keg. I was trying to carbonate a batch, I set the CO2 @ 12psi and when I checked back 4 days later the CO2 was at 35psi in the keg and the CO2 tank was dropped by half(new tank).

Sounds like you might need a new regulator. If you set your regulator to 12psi but it got up to 35psi that means your "regulator" is not "regulating" like it is supposed to. If it is busted, that could explain while the gauge on it is acting whacky.

You know the screw/knob that you turn to give pressure to the keg. Turn that knob all the way out so no pressure is given to the keg and see if it's leaking on the tank side (with the tank off, the high pressure gauge should read 500psi and the low should read 0 and it should stay that way)..... It's leaking somewhere, you have to check all connections from the post of the keg to the regulator. It helps to turn the pressure up when leak checking. Make sure your soap bubbles are thick, not watery, it may only leak on one side of a fitting and it may take a few minutes to blow bubbles.

Is 500 psi what they fill 5lb tanks too? I work in the medical field where 2000 psi is the norm. I was wondering why mine was only filled to 500. I'm new to kegging, sorry.

Is 500 psi what they fill 5lb tanks too? I work in the medical field where 2000 psi is the norm. I was wondering why mine was only filled to 500. I'm new to kegging, sorry.

Unless most other gases (oxygen, nitrogen) they fill CO2 cylinders by weight, since the CO2 is in liquid form when it's in a pressurized tank. Like with propane. The only way to know if you got a good fill is to weigh the tank! There should be a tare weight stamped on it.

As long as there's still liquid inside the tank, the pressure is just a function of temperature. It has no correlation to how full the tank is, if you got a "good fill" or if it's about to run out. When the pressure really starts dropping it means there's no more liquid CO2 in the tank and you're literally running on fumes. So it doesn't give you much warning.

500 PSI means your tank should be pretty cold, somewhere around 34-35 deg F.

Here's an update. I was missing the bushing between the regulator and the tank. :eek: My new tanks are filled to just over 800psi.

I'm glad it was an easy fix! Like I said though, they don't "fill it to 800psi," you need to weigh it to know how much is in there.

Wielding place I swap my tanks out at set tanks on the scale before they sell so they know it's full and most of the time when I hook up I read 800-850 on the high side.

Wielding place I swap my tanks out at set tanks on the scale before they sell so they know it's full and most of the time when I hook up I read 800-850 on the high side.

Exactly. Your pressure will vary due to temperature fluctuations and it says nothing about how much CO2 is in the tank, you really need to weigh it.

I remember a thread a little while ago where a bunch of people weighed the tank when they got home and reported that they weren't actually getting a full fill. I should check mine next time.

Back