Chocolate Covered Beavr Nutz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a beer sit in the secondary for 5 months and it carbed just fine. There will be plenty of yeast left in suspension.

In your cider you did add a priming solution correct?

I left CCBN in the primary for 3 weeks and secondary for 3 weeks. It took it about 3-4 weeks to fully carb up, but that was probably because my basement wasn't exactly on the warm side...probably 66-68F for most of the time.

Yes I added priming sugar. We'll see what happens. It could have been cause over the six months I transferred it three times to get off the yeast and it probably saw a few very cold days when our heat went out......

Has anyone tried adding lactose to this recipe? I would assume that would make it a bit creamier to compliment the chocolate and pb flavors.

brewed this for the third time. after 2 weeks primary, racked onto 1lb PB2 and 5oz cacao nibs. let sit for 7 days, then kegged.
the only changes i made from the OP's recipe was boiling the 1/4c dark chocolate powder for the last 10 minutes.
pitched a 2L starter of wlp007

good efficiency in the brewhouse, OG was 1.081 - finished at 1.019

primary temp was held at 64, let it free rise to 68 and finish for 2 weeks.
at only 21 days old, the sample was great. more dark chocolate flavor than i remember.

That is a good recipe until some drains the keg in the bottom of the keezer fml

I will be kegging this recipe (minus the peanut butter powder) probably within the next week I can't wait to taste test it.

Planning on brewing the extract version (partial mash) of this soon. What is the advantage to adding the Pb powder and cocoa powder after fermentation rather than into the fermenter or at flameout? Wouldn't it then be harder to mix and risk oxidation when stirring?

So, I'm planning on brewing this up this weekend and I've read through this whole thread and I had a question regarding the PB2 w/chocolate. I saw it referenced a couple of times, but I haven't noticed any mention of whether it does the job of bringing in enough chocolate flavors.

I was just planning on adding a jar of PB2 and a jar of PB2 w/chocolate in place of the cocoa powder (or possibly just 2 jars of PB2 w/chocolate). Has anyone tried this and if so, how did it turn out? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Cheers! :mug:

I just opened a bottle of this that I brewed a little over two years ago and WOW! The peanut butter calmed down and the cacao nibs are, I don't know, more refined tasting. Everything just goes really well together now. This one is a great ager. The underlying stout recipe is pretty tasty on it's own.

For the PB2 with Chocolate, I wouldn't bother. That stuff is too sweet and that's not what you need in this beer, it's already loaded with malt. I really recommend using cocoa powder and real roasted or raw cacao nibs. Make sure you don't get the sweetened nibs from the grocery store. They are sweeter than hershey's kisses. Yuck!

Personally I'm looking for a darker, richer chocolate flavor to balance the peanut butter and maltiness from the stout recipe. But hey, it's your beer, give it a shot and tell us how it turned out!

I just brewed this recipe for partial mash and I got an OG of 1.092. This is much higher than the what Midwest Supplies says it should be (1.068 - 1.072) and it also seems higher than what anyone here got. I plugged the numbers in BeerSmith (selected "Partial Mash" for Type) and it gave me an estimated OG of 1.091. I'm really worried that I didnt mashed the grains in correctly or something. Can anyone help me out with this? I'm worried that this beer is going to turn out super sweet.

This has been in primary for 8days now and im gna do gravity check today or tmrw to see where its at.
Im wondering though when i decide to rack to secondary over PB2 and Cocoa Nibs has anyone tried not mixing the PB2 with water and just toss in as is??
Would it be wise to toss dry?,or is it necessary to hydrate with water?.
If so how much water do i mix with it?.
Im using almost 13-14oz of Pb2.
Thanks

This has been in primary for 8days now and im gna do gravity check today or tmrw to see where its at.
Im wondering though when i decide to rack to secondary over PB2 and Cocoa Nibs has anyone tried not mixing the PB2 with water and just toss in as is??
Would it be wise to toss dry?,or is it necessary to hydrate with water?.
If so how much water do i mix with it?.
Im using almost 13-14oz of Pb2.
Thanks

I tossed everything in secondary then siphoned on top of it without adding extra water. The nibbs will float at first then eventually sink.

Well i racked this on top nibs and PB2 dry last weekend,Gonna leave it for another or maybe 2 before i bottle it.
The Airlock smells fantastic!
Cant wait for this in december!

Well i racked this on top nibs and PB2 dry last weekend,Gonna leave it for another or maybe 2 before i bottle it.
The Airlock smells fantastic!
Cant wait for this in december!

Sounds good! Mine has been aging since early July. I noticed that strong coffee taste is subsiding. It also seems like the peanut butter taste is slightly fading.

Been aging for 9 months. Tastes completely different. Smoother, maltier, and the PB is finally coming through.

I know this is an old post but looks like people know what they are doing here and have had some experience brewing this recipe.

I want to have a secondary time of about three months which seems like will be ok from other posts here.

I just racked over the peanut butter powder and cocoa powder in a 5 gal carboy.

My question is would you hold off on adding the nibs since they are going to be sitting in the secondary for an extended amount of time. The recipe calls for adding the nibs after 3 days or so after transferring to the secondary but I want to hold off on that for maybe a couple weeks or even a month since it will remain in the carboy for at least a couple months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just opened a bottle that has been aging for 1.5 years and it is SO FREAKING GOOD! This is a solid tasting stout! I have like ten bottles left. I'll open another one in like 3 months or so.

I made this about 2 years ago. This definitely gets better with age. Left in secondary for three months or so. After kegging, I carbed and waited a month or so before trying. It was good but the peanut butter and chocolate were a little strong. We pulled small pours off it for another month or so and I then set it aside and kind of forgot about it in the back of the fridge. Retapped it about 9 months later and I was a really improved beer. The flavors had really come together and had mellowed out the perfect amount. And being an 8% beer it was really smooth. I was a really good dessert beer for cooler weather. If you have the room to let this age, it will be so worth it.

I also brewed and enjoyed this beer - don't worry about the nibs sitting for a few months, I believe I may have added mine to the key, I just can't recall.

Just seeing this post reminds me that I need to brew this again...

I made this about 2 years ago. This definitely gets better with age. Left in secondary for three months or so. After kegging, I carbed and waited a month or so before trying. It was good but the peanut butter and chocolate were a little strong. We pulled small pours off it for another month or so and I then set it aside and kind of forgot about it in the back of the fridge. Retapped it about 9 months later and I was a really improved beer. The flavors had really come together and had mellowed out the perfect amount. And being an 8% beer it was really smooth. I was a really good dessert beer for cooler weather. If you have the room to let this age, it will be so worth it.

I never got the predominant PB flavors. What did you do to get it so strong? Did you just dump the powder into the secondary? I read that people mix it with vodka to get the strong PB flavors.

Back