Bottle it or toss it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortCarboy

Reaction score
For my first brew I am doing a red ale. I just transferred the beer from the secondary fermentor into the primary with the sugar and it is ready to bottle. Due to time constraints I had to leave the beer in the secondary for about 2 weeks longer than I wanted to.

I just tasted the beer and it had a bit of a sour taste to it. It wasn't horrible and I could still taste the beer flavour but there was definitely a sourness to it.

Should I toss the batch or is it worth it to bottle and hope the flavour changes after its matured?

Why toss it unless you NEED to free up a vessel? You didn't say anything about SG or FG. What was 2 weeks longer than you wanted? At what temp did you try to maintain your brewing?

All things considered.. if I were you.. I'd not be hasty to dump it. Heck, leave it in the FV for another week or even two to let the yeast do it's magic.. prime and bottle. Then let it sit and condition for at least a few more weeks before trying to make any judgements. I'll bet you'll be quite surprised.

It sounds like it's ruined. You should pack it up and send it to me for proper disposal.

Don't ever toss your beer. Time will heal all things. You should search that phrase and see the results that come up.

After bottling my first beer a while back, it seemed WAY to bitter and I thought I had done something wrong. Turned out that I just jumped the gun and never let it age in the bottle. Looks like you bottled it; try it in about 30 days and see what it tastes like.

Back