Gas Burner + Heatstick for full boils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of moving to AG in my apartment kitchen, and I can't quite get 6.5 gallons to boiling on my stovetop. My boil kettle fits over 2 burners, and after about an hour I can hit about 210F, enough for some bubbling but not a real boil.

Can I use one (or two?) of these heatsticks to help it the rest of the way? http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/product.aspx?i=037835&h=090102003

I don't have much in the way of tools to make my own, or anywhere outside where I could use a turkey fryer, just trying to make it work in the kitchen.

One should be enough. That is how I use to do it. If you were to use two then you would most likely need to come from 2 different AC circuits. Would end up being a mess.

-bn

Those sticks are only like a 1000 watts, but that should be enough to put you over the edge. I know everyone says DON'T cover the kettle, but have you tried using the lid on to reach boil and lid partially on to maintain, if you dont have a lid, you can use a piece of foil to cover like 2/3 of the top...if you do use a lid, wipe the condensate off every so often, that is where the DMS hides.

I have had to do the above in a pinch w/ good results, you may have to increase your boil tome a bit to get enough boiloff.

I built a 1500W heatstick (easy to do by the way), & with my gas stove it works very good.

Yep, I've tried covering the kettle. To get it up to 210F I have to keep it about 3/4 covered. I don't really have the option of building a heatstick right now, that's why I want to purchase one to use for a few months. I think I'll give one of these a try and see how it turns out. Requirements for my next place this spring will be the ability to brew outside!! Thanks for the quick answers!

As said before, I think the extra 1000 watts sshould push you to a boil...that stick would also work well for heating strike and sparge water if you give it plenty of time...gather your brewing water the day before and set a simple timer, ready when you are.

Back