Light and the Clear 5G secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oahu

Reaction score
Crap.

I just realized my clear glass secondary needs to be kept out of the light. I bottle tomorrow. It's been getting flourescent light from the room it's in, and some indirect daylight through the curtains. Should I pitch the batch?

Thanks again for answering question 1,273,005 of my inaugural batch.

No to pitching your inaugural batch! If it's a little skunky just tell whoever tries it you were looking for a Corona type of flavor to it ;) .

I doubt it'll have any problems at all... Go forward hide it somewhere dark or wrap a towel around it.

No, don't pitch it. If it is light struck, it will have a skunky smell. No smell and you're okay. Wrap a towel or dark t-shirt around it and keep it out of the light.

I'm with everyone else. Definately do not toss it. I really think you will be quite pleased with your beer.

I don't have a place to keep them out of the light. So my Carboys wear a Black T-Shirt while they are in use... :) So far it works well I do have a spot where they are out of direct sunlight but not totally dark... and the room lihgting is incandescent not flourescent. So far the Beer comes out pretty good...

Mine sit in a 25g tubs filled with water (for temp control) and the lids on.

IMG_0320%20(Large).JPG

I figured I'd put my 3rd bedroom to use finally. :D

Oh My Gawd! :eek: I can't believe you cut a hole in that rubber maid. Somebody call PETR (People for Ethical Treatment of Rubbermaids) right now! :mad:

Jocularity aside tho...good idea that. :cool:

El Pistolero said:
Oh My Gawd! :eek: I can't believe you cut a hole in that rubber maid. Somebody call PETR (People for Ethical Treatment of Rubbermaids) right now! :mad:

I swear I heard a little scream as I stabbed my knife in... :eek:

If I had a wife, I think she'd kill me for destroying rubbermaid products. Good thing I'm single. :p

So maybe this is a stupid question (or my million dollar idea), but why don't they make brown glass carboys? Or do they exist?

Oh crap. I have had my oatmeal stout sitting in my carboy in a rubbermaid just like the one in the pic, completely exposed to whatever light may have gotten to it. I'ma do the circle cut out thing I suppose for my next batch which is a Hobgoblin clone. I bought an immersion chiller and a 6.5 glass carboy for this one. My old primary fermenter is gonna become my new misc bucket after just one batch. Money well spent.

Eskram said:
So maybe this is a stupid question (or my million dollar idea), but why don't they make brown glass carboys? Or do they exist?

They exist. I've seen them at my local HBS. Don't know cost or anything, but I've seen 'em.

loop

how about the plastic fermenters - can they get light struck?? i dont have any glass ones yet cos i don;t think theres a hb shop in ireland that sell them and getting them shipped frm the uk would cost $$$$$$$$$$ and they could break....
cheers
k

loopmd said:
They exist. I've seen them at my local HBS. Don't know cost or anything, but I've seen 'em.

loop
That would be neat, then all you'd need is one cap and a extra large capper. One big beer bottle.

Wild

Back