Bottling Sours w/Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigWhitey_FrostBox

Reaction score
I'm looking to bottle my first sours, a Flanders Red w/ Roselare blend and an old ale w/ Brett. Can you just add the correct amount of dextrose to achieve your desired level of carbonation and allow the Brett and other bugs to slowly carbonate within the bottle, allowing for their ability to consume more of the sugar than Saccharomyces? I know there are other methods, but I would like to keep it as simple as possible without adding in a bottling yeast.

Bugs (bacteria) will not carb your beer since most do not create any co2, but Brett is a yeast and can be used to bottle condition beers. You should be fine without a bottling yeast IF you still have any yeast alive in your beer. How long has it been aging?

I was going to ask this same question. My guess is that you'll want to pitch a neutral yeast strictly for carbonation. Anyone have suggestions as to what to use? I have a brett'd saison I'd like to get into bottle.

On my flanders Ive always just bottled as is, and they always seem to carbonate easily, although I dont usually test them for 6mos+ in the bottle

I dont think it would hurt to add some extra yeast though to ensure carbonation, maybe a whole pack or some wine yeast due to the acidity

How long has it been aging?

The Brett Old Ale has been on the Brett for about four months and is at 1.008. I'm not worried about it carbing. It will work, it will just be slow.

The Flanders has been in secondary about a year. It might be a little more tough to wake up, but I tried it anyway. I'm not in a hurry, so if it takes six months or more so be it.

Back