Relocating; Job Search

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
So, I find myself making the decision so relocate. SWMBO moved up to DFW last year and I stuck around to get some key projects finished before moving myself.

I've had some mixed results with my remote job search. I either get too many interested companies contact me just to tell me that I'm a bit over qualified for what they're looking for or I get silence for weeks.

Last Friday I was up there and had multiple people try to line up some in-person interviews that day. Obviously, I was limited to how many I could actually fit in so now I've got to figure out how to be away from work and be out of town at the same time.

When it rains it pours huh? I've got a nice opportunity I'm looking forward to this coming Friday and hope it turns out well.

The fun part is telling my job that I'm moving and looking for another job.

Doesn't that just take the cake? With all of the issues out there and people out of work, you still can be "overqualified".

Good luck on the search.

I believe in these cases "overqualified" actually means more qualified than they are to be working for them. I've had people actually tell me that I'd be a great candidate for their own boss or at least a department peer.

Ya know what, just let me make that decision huh?

overqualified means:
1. they need to pay you less than you are worth
2. they are afraid you will want to take over the department instead of be a soldier.

the last overqualified person I hiered was unhappy with the pay package she agreed to within 6 weeks & attempted to boss me around on a regular basis. You will be happier taking a job that NEEDS you instead of one that WANTS you.

My current position is very demanding of my time and I consistently work 60+ hours a week and usually some time on the weekend. That's why it's worked with me and SWMBO living apart. We wouldn't see each other much anyways.

Having a less demanding position and less pay would actually be MORE valuable to me, not to mention give me more time to brew. Gee, where's the downside here? More time at home, less stress and able to enjoy my hobbies more frequently.

SWMBO is a Dr. and I try to be as successful in my field of choice but at some point I gotta tap out and say enough is enough. That's why I wouldn't mind starting a little lower in the totem pole to give me an idea if I really want that responsibility and commitment again. I'd just like the opportunity to decide for myself.

You will be happier taking a job that NEEDS you instead of one that WANTS you.

In my years of hiring/firing, I found that the employees who are happy with their position with the company and typically stick around relatively "long term", are needed AND wanted. Just being needed doesn't mean you'll be happy with a position.

In my years of hiring/firing, I found that the employees who are happy with their position with the company and typically stick around relatively "long term", are needed AND wanted. Just being needed doesn't mean you'll be happy with a position.

Yes your right but lots of people hire someone because they have "the education" that makes them look important not because of what they can accomplish for the company or the team. If they think they are doing more for you than you are giving them, it's never good. it has to be a win-win. I hope you find what you are looking for. Dallas is a big market and not as deppressed as many places. good Luck

My current position is very demanding of my time and I consistently work 60+ hours a week and usually some time on the weekend. That's why it's worked with me and SWMBO living apart. We wouldn't see each other much anyways.

Having a less demanding position and less pay would actually be MORE valuable to me, not to mention give me more time to brew. Gee, where's the downside here? More time at home, less stress and able to enjoy my hobbies more frequently.

SWMBO is a Dr. and I try to be as successful in my field of choice but at some point I gotta tap out and say enough is enough. That's why I wouldn't mind starting a little lower in the totem pole to give me an idea if I really want that responsibility and commitment again. I'd just like the opportunity to decide for myself.

what field?

I don't ever want to be "needed". If I'm "needed", I can't move on to a new challenge because I'm "needed". The business case to keep me stationary is hard to argue with if I don't build the capability in my team to take over if I'm not around. It's a lot easier to approach a new project if I can prove I've made sure my current project won't suffer because I planned ahead. And take credit for it of course.

I do appreciate being wanted. From a business perspective, you want the people you can count on to get things done while being good leaders and followers.

what field?

Operational Consulting/Management. Not very specific but it requires some flexibility to become a subject matter expert and stream line a client's own processes and operation while not stepping on toes too much. I always tell them, "you're paying me for my experience and opinion. I won't be offended if you don't agree"

I was over-qualified for my last job, I not only had more experience than my future manager, I had more experience as a manager than the VP. It took a little talking, but I convinced them that I really hated being a manager and would be fine with being a senior tech. About a year later, my manager decided HE hated being a manager. I turned down the promotion, I was having too much fun pounding on the software development team. I was "just a user obsessed with functionality" and ignored the pretty interface.

Back