First batch unfortunate events...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMac

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I brewed my first all grain batch, it was EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. I filled up my HLT to 6 gallons to heat the strike water.

heated it up to 167F and drained 3.7gal into my mash tun while my friend stirred. Unforunately, I think he accidentally hit my cpvc manifold (that, or the hot water caused it to expand and fall apart). This REALLY sucked, because it dislodged my spigot and I was losing wort (although not at too quick a rate... maybe 1L/30 mins). I put my hand on the spigot and moved it around (ouch!) until there was no leaking. I waited to hour, stirring once or twice. When it was time to vorlauf, I was getting an idea of what was going on down in the manifold...

It took about 2 quarts to get the grain bed set (with many stuck sparges in between... blowing on the end of the tube to release it). It drained very quickly, but I could never get all the grain to stop coming out. I then batch sparged with 4.5 gal and repeated the process, except this time around, I used a strainer to make sure no more husks were getting into my BK.

Once the manifold was revealed, I could finally see what happened. The 'dip tube' connecting the flat manifold to the spigot had come entirely off. This mean there was essentially an open 1/2" tube draining the wort (and so not much filtration!) :(

Anyways... I carried on, took the hit with the tannins (quite a bit of grain made it in, and the strainer couldn't do much to help).. completed the rest of the brewing with essentially no problems. No boil over, hop additions were on time, IC cooled the wort in less than 10 minutes. I transferred to the sanitized fermenter (where I didn't quite aerate enough, DOH!) via a sanitized siphon and I finally pitched the yeast and put it in the basement where it could sit to ferment with the sanitized airlock and lid in tact.

I have seen no signs of bubbling... which is unfortunate because it has been about 15.5hrs. my OG came in at about 1.048 at 5gal when it should be 1.052 at 5.5 gal. I know this is a BRUTAL efficiency, but considering what happened in the process... I don't think I can really be too hard on myself just yet, I'll wait until I brew a batch without a hiccup to criticize my methodology. Total time was about 4.5 hrs from when I started filling up the HLT to when the fermenter was in the basement. Not bad considering all of the improv. I had to do with the MLT!

I had no leaking in either the BK or HLT, which I'm very pleased about. The only thing I need to take care of now is this problem with the manifold. Personally, I like the manifold because it can drain essentially all of the wort, it gives me the ability to move to fly sparging if I feel like I want another project, and it looks pretty damn cool. So with that said, without anyone telling me "go with a SS braid", what do you think is the best way to solve this problem? I'm thinking of gluing a few crucial parts (such as the 2 fittings which connect the horizontal manifold to the dip tube-like connector). But I'm definitely open to suggestions, so PLEASE let me hear what you have to say!

manifold.jpg

Are you sure your yeast isn't working? What type of fermenter do you use? Is it possible that you don't have an airtight seal and that's why the airlock isn't bubbling? Airlock activity alone is not a great indicator of fermentation.

Best solution for the manifold, without recommending a ss braid which btw works really well and wouldn't give you this problem, rebuild the manifold and don't hit it with the stirrer...

I'm thinking of gluing a few crucial parts (such as the 2 fittings which connect the horizontal manifold to the dip tube-like connector).

so at this point none of those connections is glued? Yeah, start gluing things. PVC cement is designed for use on potable water pipes - go get some and start locking that guy together.

so at this point none of those connections is glued? Yeah, start gluing things. PVC cement is designed for use on potable water pipes - go get some and start locking that guy together.

Yeah, none are glued together, I was hoping it would work without glue so cleaning would be easier. I guess I'll glue in 2-3 fitting segments... that would still make it possible to clean, but SHOULD prevent it from falling apart. And PVC cement won't affect the taste of my beer? I'm just wondering what will happen when its exposed to 165F water.

And Pie_Man, My fermenter actually started bubbling a few hours later, although now it has stopped (or at least bubbling less than once every 30s). I'm using a plastic pale, and I've made sure the lid is closed properly. The airlock seems to be in there tight, so anything escaping SHOULD be going through the airlock. Haha, yeah maybe next time I should stir! That would probably avoid the problem as well. BTW, I know braids work very well, but I wanted something a little flashier which can serve multiple purposes. I'm not dissing SS braids, I'm just saying I like the versatility of the manifold.

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, none are glued together, I was hoping it would work without glue so cleaning would be easier. I guess I'll glue in 2-3 fitting segments... that would still make it possible to clean, but SHOULD prevent it from falling apart. And PVC cement won't affect the taste of my beer? I'm just wondering what will happen when its exposed to 165F water.

Your water heater is prob putting out water in the 120-140 range. You'll be fine.

Back