Sandpaper to clean copper tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havokczl

Reaction score
Hello all!
I was recently able to acquire a lengthy amount of copper tubing, for making my 1st IC & was cleaning the outside with little success. I have as of late read more efficient & effective methods for cleaning(vinegar solution, acid cleansers, PBW, etc)
In a good lot of places I wasn't having the best results with just using a soap/comet/water & a green scratch pad. Then I thought, sandpaper to get the thick deposits off. This worked, although it did make it have a slight abrasive appearance.
I also soldered 2 couplings for additional length, from what I've been reading in the forum, soldering shouldn't much bearing on contaminating the wort.
I'm just concerned about the sandpaper job that I did.
Did I shoot myself in the foot by sandpapering or will I be ok? Any thoughts?

Wal-Mart carries a citric acid cleaner that just shines brass or copper right up. Cheap, too.

I've used Bar Keeper's Friend ... Abrasive and mildly acidic; cleans copper well, but will scratch ...

I'm just concerned about the sandpaper job that I did.
Did I shoot myself in the foot by sandpapering or will I be ok? Any thoughts?

No, not at all. Copper is copper, scratches from sandpaper are not a concern IMHO. If it makes you feel better, it is easy to polish copper.

you should actually not clean copper until its shiney. the dull appearance is from a protective, much harder, copper oxide coating that forms on it. removing that coating exposes raw elemental copper, which can be poisonous (causes copper poisoning). the only reason its not dangerous is because the yeast will use and remove nearly all of the copper available during fermentation. this is why you never use copper parts post-fermentation.

if you were to drink large amounts of unfermented wort that you brewed with copper, you would likely end up with a high concentration of it in your body.

so its not specifically dangerous to make it shine, but only because the yeast protect you. however, there is no need to remove that beneficial oxide layer. it does happen on its own to some extent when you put the copper in the boiling wort due to the worts acidity, but theres no reason that you should be actively doing it. when you are finished with your wort chiller, hose it off and let it drip dry. thats all that needs to be done.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback & input. It's been helpful. I already made my coil but I've still got some places with heavy deposits on it. I'm gonna play it safe & try the hot vinegar & water method to see if it will help with those remaining trouble spots. Thanks again all.

you should actually not clean copper until its shiney. the dull appearance is from a protective, much harder, copper oxide coating that forms on it. removing that coating exposes raw elemental copper, which can be poisonous (causes copper poisoning). the only reason its not dangerous is because the yeast will use and remove nearly all of the copper available during fermentation. this is why you never use copper parts post-fermentation.

if you were to drink large amounts of unfermented wort that you brewed with copper, you would likely end up with a high concentration of it in your body.

so its not specifically dangerous to make it shine, but only because the yeast protect you. however, there is no need to remove that beneficial oxide layer. it does happen on its own to some extent when you put the copper in the boiling wort due to the worts acidity, but theres no reason that you should be actively doing it. when you are finished with your wort chiller, hose it off and let it drip dry. thats all that needs to be done.

I agree with this with one exception. I don't want the oxide layer that comes from the factory, so I dip all new copper in vinegar till it shines. Then I let the oxide layer re-form, and then
I just rinse after every use to maintain the new oxide layer....

Back