Link to make a starter for dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
Gonna make a batch of beer, first one in a while. I have a dry package of coopers ale yeast and light dme. What's the easiest way to make a starter, how long does it need, and hat do I do when I pitch it. Feel free to answer or post a link. Thanks

You don't need a starter with dry yeast. Put about 4 ounces of 90 degree water in a sanitized measuring cup and pour the yeast in on top of it (float the yeast, don't mix it up.) Let it sit until that water reaches room temperature and then swirl it all up before you pitch it to the wort...

Coopers yeast sucks. Got out and get a package of Notty of Safale. $1 each and way worth it

With all the problems talked about with Notty I would stick with Coopers. I do however prefer Safale, S05 or S04. It of course also depends on what you are brewing.

+1 No starter for dry yeast - rehydrate is good.

The manufacturer has gone to the trouble of giving the yeast all it needs for several divisions (this is for Dry yeast only). That's why you could pitch dry yeast in unaerated wort and it would still do fine (provided you don't underpitch). However, if you use the cake from a dry yeast ferment you'd have to aerate it just as you would liquid yeast.

There was a great explanation of it on the Danstar site but I can't find it right now. Might want to peruse the site.

Here's something sort of related from the Danstar FAQ:
Q: I always aerate my wort when using liquid yeast. Do I need to aerate the wort before pitching dry yeast?

A: No, there is no need to aerate the wort but it does not harm the yeast either. During its aerobic production, dry yeast accumulates sufficient amounts of unsaturated fatty acids and sterols to produce enough biomass in the first stage of fermentation. The only reason to aerate the wort when using wet yeast is to provide the yeast with oxygen so that it can produce sterols and unsaturated fatty acids which are important parts of the cell membrane and therefore essential for biomass production.

Back