Brinkmann Burner, suitability for 10gal (plus Bayou Classic SQ14)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonpile

Reaction score
I was just gifted with a Brinkmann burner. Does anyone have any idea what the BTU rating of this sucker is? It looks a lot like a Bayou Classic SP-50 (http://www.bayouclassicfryers.com/gas-cookers.shtml) and the diameter of the cooking surface is 13.75".

If it is the same, that means it 55k BTU with a 10 PSI regulator and 185k BTU with a 20 PSI regulator. How do I know what PSI my regulator is?

It looks like I should be able to replace the burner at least with the BG-10 (see my third picture link below). Does the BG-12 bolt on the bottom like the BG-10?

Also we already have, and have been using, an SQ14, which says it's 55k BTU with a 10 PSI regulator, but there's no indication that we can bump up the regulator to overclock this sucker. Is it possible?

We're about to go AG and 10gal at the same time. With three of us brewing it's kind of important to go 10gal (getting 16 beers per batch just doesn't seem worth it!). Are we going to be able to boil 10 gal batches in a keggle with either of these, or do I need to upgrade regulators or just buy a banjo?

Picture of Burner, Side View

Picture of Burner, Top View

Picture of Burner, Burner to Frame Connection

Moonpile said:
I was just gifted with a Brinkmann burner. Does anyone have any idea what the BTU rating of this sucker is? It looks a lot like a Bayou Classic SP-50 (http://www.bayouclassicfryers.com/gas-cookers.shtml) and the diameter of the cooking surface is 13.75".

If it is the same, that means it 55k BTU with a 10 PSI regulator and 185k BTU with a 20 PSI regulator. How do I know what PSI my regulator is?

It looks like I should be able to replace the burner at least with the BG-10 (see my third picture link below). Does the BG-12 bolt on the bottom like the BG-10?

Looks to me like that burner is already the BG-10, but that's just at first glance. The BG-12 apparently can't take the power the BG-10 can.

Moonpile said:
Also we already have, and have been using, an SQ14, which says it's 55k BTU with a 10 PSI regulator, but there's no indication that we can bump up the regulator to overclock this sucker. Is it possible?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43881

Moonpile said:
We're about to go AG and 10gal at the same time. With three of us brewing it's kind of important to go 10gal (getting 16 beers per batch just doesn't seem worth it!). Are we going to be able to boil 10 gal batches in a keggle with either of these, or do I need to upgrade regulators or just buy a banjo?

Ok I now think the Brinkmann is either a copy or the same thing as the SP-50. I think it actually does have a variable PSI regulator already. So if I'm going to have to fire it up and see.

Can someone confirm that there's a difference between variable PSI regulators and what comes with the SQ14, which has a smaller metal ball valve compared to a larger knob?

Latest posts

Back