Lager Ferment Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispykid

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope you can help me out here.

I brewed up a pilsner on Thursday night roughly based on the clone recipe for Victory Prima Pils I found on this site. I used Saflager Saflager S-23 since my LHBS was out of Wyeast 2124.

I just built an active fermentation temperature control system based on the water fermentation chamber builds I found in the DIY section and I set my ferment temp at 50F using. The system works great so far, but I pushed my luck by going away for a couple days this weekend. I loaded up my chilling cooler with ice water before I left in the hopes that it could maintain 50F for 48 hours, but when I got back this afternoon I found that the ice had completely melted and the fermenting beer was up to 62F.

So basically I figure the beer had about two to three days at exactly 50C and about a half a day to a day rising up from 50 to 62. Now that I'm back home should I knock it back down to 50 or just maintain 62? I know that it's generally not a good idea to cool yeast down too much or they might go to sleep and I definitely want this beer to dry out. I was going to do a diacetyl rest anyway, is it a huge deal if it's coming a couple days too early?

Any help that experienced lager brewers can provide would be appreciated.

I've never used S-23, but from what I've heard and read it works better and tastes better at higher temps than most lager yeasts. Apparently it finishes very dry and fruity, so it will probably be great for a Prima-like beer.

I'd leave it at 62..

I've never used S-23, but from what I've heard and read it works better and tastes better at higher temps than most lager yeasts. Apparently it finishes very dry and fruity, so it will probably be great for a Prima-like beer.

I'd leave it at 62..

Thanks - that's where I was leaning, it's just nice to get a second opinion since this is my first lager.

Back