100 gallon propane tank with turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

interplexr

Reaction score
Has anyone hooked up their turkey fryer or similar high pressure (5+ PSIG) burner to a 100 gallon or bigger propane tank?

I have a 100 gallon tank that runs my gas logs so we hardly use any of that gas where I go through 20lb tanks on a regular basis with my turkey fryer. I want to hook the fryer up to the 100 gallon tank with the 20 lb propane tank fitting for ease of connecting. The regulator on my tank now is a low pressure regulator (< 1 PSIG). The only thing I can think to do is to cut the high pressure 1/4" tubing between the regulator and shut off valve on the 100 gallon tank and install a T going to a shut off valve and from there piped to my turkey fryer location where I'd have another shut off valve followed by the POL ACME thread fitting you find on the smaller propane tanks. This is a shuttoff as well should the male end on the fryer not be screwed in.

I have the POL fitting so I'd just have to pick up the other parts.

I wasn't sure if there was an issue doing this. I'd like to know if and what other folks have done.

If I can do this then I'll definitely use enough propane to keep from paying that $60/yr charge for the tank since I don't use enough. ;)

keep in mind the reg on the tank will most likely be ~14psi. my house tank is anyways.. i use a 200K btu burner from a commercial boiler converted to lp. use it with a standard 1/2" flex line in place of my dryer. i hear you on the tank fees. i get "reg fees, delivery fees" added on each fill, but if i fill once per 12 months no tank rental.

I am a service man in Oklahoma. I'm not sure what the rules are in VA, but you might want to start there. I know here things have to be a certain way, or we can't fill the tank. Now for my opinion...Get yourself a POL tee, and a high pressure regulator from your propane company. Unhook the regulator from the tank and install the tee. Install the two regs into the tee, run your piping to where you want it, install a shutoff valve, and your adjustable regulator and hose. Might want to put a shutoff after the regulator on the tank just In case. Personally I would run 1/2" black pipe, but depending on how far you are running the line you could prob. use 1/2" refrigeration copper. Hope this helps.:mug:

Edit: forgot to mention that the high pressure regulator is 10psi set from the factory.

Would the 10 PSIG regulator allow my turkey fryer 5 PSIG regulator to work? I like the idea of running lower pressure from the tank vs the full operating pressure.

I'll give the propane company a call and see if they can do it. I'd like to just do it but I have a feeling they won't fill my tank if I do like you said.

Thanks!

I had Blossman stub out a gas feed to my back patio. All I did was buy a 10' high pressure hose from them and I screw it on the stub out and hooked it to my BBQ grill. Never have to fill tanks for grilling anymore!

I have asked the guys down at Blossman about doing what you are talking about for burners for boiling seafood, fryers, and to hook to a brutus set up and they told me to install a manifold (can be purchased from them) and hook one lead to the BBQ Grill and the other to a recesed outlet with a shut off and quick disconect Which they sell as well. It looks similar to below:
stainless.jpg

Would the 10 PSIG regulator allow my turkey fryer 5 PSIG regulator to work? I like the idea of running lower pressure from the tank vs the full operating pressure.

I'll give the propane company a call and see if they can do it. I'd like to just do it but I have a feeling they won't fill my tank if I do like you said.

Thanks!

You shouldn't have any problems with the 10 psi reg and your fryer. As far as you vs. them doing the work, here in OK you can do your own work but we will have to do a leak test before the next fill.

I had Blossman stub out a gas feed to my back patio. All I did was buy a 10' high pressure hose from them and I screw it on the stub out and hooked it to my BBQ grill. Never have to fill tanks for grilling anymore!

I have asked the guys down at Blossman about doing what you are talking about for burners for boiling seafood, fryers, and to hook to a brutus set up and they told me to install a manifold (can be purchased from them) and hook one lead to the BBQ Grill and the other to a recesed outlet with a shut off and quick disconect Which they sell as well. It looks similar to below:
stainless.jpg

The feed to your patio is high pressure? Did they put a high pressure reg on the tank?

Not 100% sure. There is a regulator on the tank and another right before it goes into my house. From that point the pressure feeding my Hot water heater, stove and grill are all the same.

On my grill I just hooked the hose to the 4 burner manifold. no other regulator is being used. What ever the pressure is to my house is what I'm cooking with on the grill.

Back