I bought some commercial beers!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
So I havent really bought much commercial beers since I started brewing my own in September. I have a Bass clone that will be bottled soon and I thought I'd buy a commercial one and see how they compare in taste. I bought yesterday for $10.49 for a 6 pack (+ deposit) and had it delivered (online supermarket delivers to my house). Today I went to a beer distributor and guess what 12 pack of Bass is $12.99. Sure makes sense to buy it from there and not supermarket.

So while I was in this store I decided to buy some new beers I never tried. Here is what I got:

Weihenstephaner 16oz - hefe - $2.69
Rogue Santas Private Reserve Ale 22oz - $5.99
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout 16oz - $3.89

At the cashier they had a cart full of 12oz beers which were all labeled at 50 cents each so I picked up 2:

Brooklyn Summer Ale
He'brew Genesis Ale

The store has a large selection of beers, I saw so many Belgian stuff - Chimays, lambics which I will try next time. One thing I noticed is that Budweiser has a new kind of swing top bottle. It looks to be more then a litre bottle and I believe its for some kind of promotion.

I do like Young's but I find that older containers of it are quite stale-tasting. I just bottled a Young's clone based on the BYO recipe.

German wheats are good, but I find they do not travel so well and start to degrade substantially. I had a run of fresh Erdinger in Dallas for about 2mos a couple of years ago and thought I was in heaven. Then a fellow north of Dallas started a small brewery and produced a nice, normal, fresh weizen. Took me right back to my soldier days. The beer wasn't trying too hard, it was just an average German weizen like you would have in the Fatherland. But since it had not traveled the Atlantic it really stood out.

Drank He'brew yesterday and Brooklyn.

Why is Brooklyn Summer ale which is an EPA completely different in taste / color from Bass Ale which is also an EPA?

Latest posts

Back