Cooling in the sink..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unkle Danky

Reaction score
I used some of the freez-pops instead of ice to keep the cooling water cold. They are only 3 bucks or something at walmart and I threw them all in the water and cooled the wort to 83 in about 16 minutes. I didnt even have to change the water because it stayed cold. Plus you can just throw them back in the freezer for your next brew or for a delicious treat for your efforts.

The only sink cooling I do is for yeast starters, and I don't use cubes either. I use reusable freezer packs like the ones that come with liquid yeast from online LHBS. Reusable and work great.

I cooled mine in the sink. I froze some brewing water in sanitized plastic containers the night before. So, I just filled my sink with cold water, put my kettle in and dropped in a chunk of ice. By the time it melted, the water in the sink was quite warm. Changed out the water, tossed in another ice cube and it was down below 90. Took about 10 minutes.

My sink drains into the other before it over flows....so I let the cool water run. Also use frozen 2 ltr pop bottles (3 of them) and throw them right in the boiling wort....that sanitizes the outside...stir gently...15 min later....TaDaaaa.

Freeze pops! That's such a good idea! Why didn't I think of that. I always just buy a giant bag of ice at the grocery store. This is way more efficient...

My sink drains into the other before it over flows....so I let the cool water run. Also use frozen 2 ltr pop bottles (3 of them) and throw them right in the boiling wort....that sanitizes the outside...stir gently...15 min later....TaDaaaa.

That's an interesting idea... The scalding hot water has no effects on the plastic even though the contents are frozen?

You can heat water over an open flame in a plastic water bottle without it melting at all, until the water gets up into the glass temp of the plastic. Its a pretty cool trick.

Back