Hop Yard Best of Show

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yours look so much different than mine. Yours is nice an neat....mine is a jungle.
I have side arms going everywhere. I don't know if its because mine go up about 10 feet then go horizontal or if it's just the weather.

Yours look so much different than mine. Yours is nice an neat....mine is a jungle.
I have side arms going everywhere. I don't know if its because mine go up about 10 feet then go horizontal or if it's just the weather.

I prune and maintain daily these days. I had a post not too long ago where I was rambling about waiting too late to prune the lower portion and it was a pain. Now, I prune the bottom 2 foot daily ( a must ) and I check the sidearms regularly.

When you say you check the side arms regularly what do you mean?

Do you train them up or prune them?

I let them go willy until they try to mingle in with a neighboring plant (or try to grow through the fence to the next door) and then I train them up.

Everything but the main bine gets pruned off from grade to about 2 foot above.

What is most impresive to me is that, for the first year plants, these are single bines.

Ok...I follow.

Some of my bines mysteriously lost there growth tips at about the 5 foot point and I think that triggered my side arm growth and it has been caos ever since.

It's no wonder these bad boys are so invasive...nothing stops them.

I'll try and get a pic of my first year cascades....the one is just ridiculous.

Those are some pretty plants dude, what kind of line is that for the vertical line? I used Sisal bailing twine, I dont know if it will support them next year when they are really growing good.

Those are some pretty plants dude, what kind of line is that for the vertical line? I used Sisal bailing twine, I dont know if it will support them next year when they are really growing good.

3/8" Sisal rope. 500 foot at Lowes for like $10.00. For that price, I will replace them each year and compost the old ones.

Latest posts

Back