Old Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy37

Reaction score
First of all I'd like to say hello to everyone in the forums, this is my first post. I have used the forum for quite a bit of information and appreciate all the replies and help that is given here to the many questions that are asked. My question is that I have some Wyeast smack packs that are about 10 months old. I contacted my local brew shop and they suggested I make a yeast starter for the Wyeast. Here is my question a yeast starter takes 1lb of dry malt for about 4-5 dollars. I can buy a yeast pack for about $5.50. Would it make more sense to buy the same yeast and pitch with the old yeast or should I make the starter with the old yeast. The cost would be close to the same in making the starter and the replacement yeast. Pitching the old yeast and the new yeast would increase my yeast count, is that correct? Thanks for the help in advance.

are these Activator packs or Propagator packs?

propagators are no where near pitchable quantities...you'd always need a starter for those.
activators still not optimal pitching amounts, but they *can* be pitched with decent results.

If it were me, I'd do a starter, because I pay over $7 a smack pack at the LHBS.

Malkore,
These are Wyeast XL Activator packs. I have been putting off brewing for awhile and would like to make a couple batches. I can purchase the smack packs for 5.75 @ Northern Brewer and Ex Lt Munton's DME 1 lb is $4.99.

The yeast varieties that I have are the following:

Wyeast #3944 Belgian Witbier Yeast
Wyeast #1275 Thames Valley Ale Yeast
Wyeast #1010 American Wheat Yeast

For my starters I use 6 oz. DME in 2 quarts water. I buy my DME in 3 lb bags for $12, so I get 8 starters for $1.50 each. I guess it depends if you are trying to save money and do the extra work required for a starter. If you use activator packs and pitch directly then the convenience may be worth just buying new yeast. Your call.

Latest posts

Back