Carboy brewing accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time I'll use glass is for aging cider, mead or vinegar. The carboys sit on a countertop where I can fill them and siphon from them without ever moving them. But still I'm afraid one day there will be a disaster while I clean one of them.

+1.

I still make a lot of wine, and bulk age both reds and whites for extended periods in glass. Better Bottles, Big Mouth Bubblers, etc., just don't cut it (too soon?). I primary in a steel conical, gravity (not siphon) transfer into glass for secondary until terminal gravity, then stabilize and clarify in the same carboy. After dropping mostly clear, I vacuum transfer from the glass secondary to a glass carboy for bulk aging for 2 to 10 months before bottling.

My fermenting, transfer, aging, bottling and cleaning spaces aren't more than ten steps away from each other. I've been making wine for more than 40 years and consider myself extremely lucky to have only broken one carboy. That imploded during a vacuum transfer (actually I was foolishly trying to degass using a closed loop vacuum; worked like a champ...up until the carboy shattered under the negative pressure).

With wine I only handle glass carboys maybe twice in twelve months per batch. But when it comes to beer, I haven't used glass, except when I fill bottles for competition, in years. Just too much risk. Besides, how do you think I talked SWMBO'd into letting me buy three stainless conicals?

Brooo Brother

+1.

I still make a lot of wine, and bulk age both reds and whites for extended periods in glass. Better Bottles, Big Mouth Bubblers, etc., just don't cut it (too soon?). I primary in a steel conical, gravity (not siphon) transfer into glass for secondary until terminal gravity, then stabilize and clarify in the same carboy. After dropping mostly clear, I vacuum transfer from the glass secondary to a glass carboy for bulk aging for 2 to 10 months before bottling.

My fermenting, transfer, aging, bottling and cleaning spaces aren't more than ten steps away from each other. I've been making wine for more than 40 years and consider myself extremely lucky to have only broken one carboy. That imploded during a vacuum transfer (actually I was foolishly trying to degass using a closed loop vacuum; worked like a champ...up until the carboy shattered under the negative pressure).

With wine I only handle glass carboys maybe twice in twelve months per batch. But when it comes to beer, I haven't used glass, except when I fill bottles for competition, in years. Just too much risk. Besides, how do you think I talked SWMBO'd into letting me buy three stainless conicals?

Brooo Brother

Wouldn't a corny keg work well for bulk aging too? I bulk age beer in them with great success

Wouldn't a corny keg work well for bulk aging too? I bulk age beer in them with great success

Absolutely. I have 12 kegs but they're always in use either fermenting, spunding, conditioning or serving beer! Kegging my wine would simplify my processes considerably as well as decrease my risk exposure to life and limb.

Unfortunately my average wine volume per batch is usually 6~6 1/2 gallons. It might be worth my while to look into some 1/6 barrel or 1/4 barrel sanke kegs though.

Brooo Brother

Last night was an eventful night. I was sterilizing a couple of glass carboys to use for second fermentors. While I was draining one of them into the sink the carboy gently bumped the side of the sink and broke in my hands. I was surprised how little it took to break and even more surprised by the size of the gashes it slashed in my right hand. I had to rush to the emergency room. I ended up with 15 stitches in my palm and middle finger. There doesn't seem to be any nerve damage but I did manage to severe a tendon, which will require the recommendation of an orthopedic surgeon. Becareful with glass carboys. I am making the switch to Better Bottles, as I am a little freaked out by how easily the carboy broke.

View attachment 52705
I inspected my five glass carboys prior to a juice run last weekend and discovered a 1/2" crack on the shoulder. I do not care to use this jug as it is cheaper to buy an empty jug than a one full of 12 month old red.

Latest posts

Back