Wyeast 3638 into a Wit? Has anyone done this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighorn_brew

Reaction score
Random brew day, I have a fair amount of ingredients on hand, I am having "brew block."
I have spices, unmalted wheat/malted wheat , and this 1 liter starter of wyeast 3638 for a Wit.
I am thinking a 3 gallon batch, fermented in low 60's ambient temperature. I know that this isn't a first choice yeast for this style, but will it make a quaffable quick wit? I have a buddy coming to visit Feb 7 and want an alternative to the Altbier, and Am. Pale Ale I have on tap...

Is this going to be an all-wheat, or do you have 2-row to go into it? I think you can get a nice easy-drinking beer, but probably won't technically be a wit. But, who cares?

I was thinking 50% 2 British Pale ale malt...so, I guess it would be a spiced hefeweizen....

With a fermentation temp that low should be fine. Maybe add ~3% acid malt to account for tartness that a true wit strain would give but.... I'd say go for it. Will be quite drinkable regardsless

Latest posts

Back