Odell Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
Anyone tried to clone this? I am not typically a huge fan of Red's but this brew is fantastic, as are basically all of Odell's brews. I was wondering if anyone else enjoyed it enough to try and mimic it. If not, I am going to have to try myself! Have seen much in searching. Anyone?

According to the label, " We took the American-style red....adding a variety of aggressive American hops." 6.5% ABV and 50 IBUs. I may just take that info to Beersmith and see what I can come up with.

According to the label, " We took the American-style red....adding a variety of aggressive American hops." 6.5% ABV and 50 IBUs. I may just take that info to Beersmith and see what I can come up with.

Just a note - that is sort of Odell's trademark line about a lot of their beers. They often say they take a certain type of beer and "add hops" - and I guess they do.

I do know this current Red has been a long process for them. They used to put out another Red (I can't remeber what they called it) a few years back. Then for several months they were offering different types of Red in their tasting room that they were brewing on their 5 barrel system. I believe they first came out with this Red last year. When I was talking with the folks in the tap room a couple of weeks ago they told me that they had actually tweaked the recipe this year. Whatever they did - thumbs up! :mug:

Drank my last Red of the year last night...:(

Still no luck searching for a clone. I asked about it yesterday at the brewery but they were so busy I couldn't sit anyone down to talk about it.

I brewed a moderately hopped red and when I tasted Odell's I though "gee, this tastes a lot like that red I just brewed."

9lb 2-row
14.9 oz Crystal 40L (Probably wanted a pound but was short)
8 oz Crystal 90L
2 oz Roasted Barley

Mashed at 154 for an hour. 1oz of Amarillo at 60, 30 and 2 and fermented with Nottingham.

I've been trying to get close to their "extra special red" (single batch series, yadayada) And I think their red ale uses some of the same hops, my next attempt will be with all citra for the "extra special red" but the red ale tastes like it does have some other type of hops, I've not enough experience yet to pick them out. You might try yogenshas recipe and maybe dry hop with citra?

I just had this beer for the first time this weekend, and it has quickly become one of my favorites. I am not one for a huge hop kick in the face, but this was outstanding. If someone figures out a clone, I am ALL in.

Hey all,

Figured i'd revive this thread and see if anyone has come up with a comparable clone recipe for this beer.

My brother brought a couple of odell reds over and I was quite impressed with this beer. Now I am looking for a clone recipe to homebrew this very tasty beer.

So can anyone help me out?
Pretty please! :)

Thanks in advanced
Redbeard5289

I have had this beer twice this week. :D

I'm far from an expert on cloning as I've never worked on cloning anything before. So I'll discuss it anyway.

The malt bill seems simple enough. I'm think crystal malts and base malt will get you there. You would need either a hefty amount of crystal, and/or a comparitively high mash temp (156/157). The malt really balances out the hops in this one, which is why it's so delicious.

As for the hops, I'm terrible at discerning different varieties. I'm guessing amarillo and cascade and maybe simcoe, but that's mainly based on their "Aggressive American hops" claim. I think this would be a good canidate for mostly late hopping. Shoot for 45 or so IBUs (a total guess on my part), and do most or all of your additions in the last 15m of the boil. That'll give you the crazy hop flavor without face-smacking bitterness.

These are my amatuer thoughts based on a bit of knowledge, and no cloning experience. If I get to my computer today I'll work up a starting recipe in ProMash if you like. Any clone, however would probably take several attempts and a lot of tweaking to get right.

I haven't found a clone and haven't looked into brewing yogensha's recipe on the first page. I would still very much like to do so.

I am a big fan of reds. I am about to brew one soon. I have a similar grain bill (except using maris) I have chosen cascade and kent goldens for the hops. Very british.

I used to br a huge fan of their beers but i find that the Red, IPA, Town Pump, 90 and isolations ale includinig a few others have an overwhelming metalic finish. A couple years back this was not present it seems to have developed in the past year or so. Anybody else have this problem??

I used to br a huge fan of their beers but i find that the Red, IPA, Town Pump, 90 and isolations ale includinig a few others have an overwhelming metalic finish. A couple years back this was not present it seems to have developed in the past year or so. Anybody else have this problem??

Hmm, no. Red, Isolation, and IPA are my favorites, too. I've never noticed this at all.

I dont know what my deal is but next time you try one mkratt see if you can notice it if your looking for the taste. Its sucks cause i love there beer I just cant get passed it and i taste it only on the finishing.

This is a good red! Calling all experienced brewers to clone this thing!

try brewing the West Coast Blaster recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. it's not a clone, but a very similar brew. i'm sure there's some information out there on O'Dell's hops and hopping schedule. i think that BCS recipe is a good base for a hopped up red like O'Dell's.

Back