Back Sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmsteve512

Reaction score
Ok, so I have 5 gallons in my carboy. Been there for a month and a half. So far it is pretty dry. Plan on bottling in another 2 weeks but would like to sweeten and bring back a bit of the apple taste. This is my plan, add 1 can of frozen juice concentrate and Splenda.
Is there any down side to this plan? Also, how much Splenda for a moderately sweet cider.

A little Splenda goes a long way so be careful with it.

Are you planning on carbonating it? If so, use the Splenda or lactose. Both if these won't ferment.

If you're not carbing it then you need to add some potassium sorbate a couple of days prior to bottling to retard fermentation before adding the frozen concentrate. If you don't it'll just ferment out.

I try to avoid backsweetening, but if you do a forum search on "backsweetening" you will find more posts than you can shake a stick at.

Before adding sorbate, I strongly recommend you taste a little bit of it first. It leaves a very distinctive taste, which some people are OK with, but most avoid. If you are OK with the taste it is very effective. If you dont like it, better to toss a 4oz glass than have to drink 5 gallons of it

Back