Baby fermoire = my fermbar build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrallison83

HapHazard Brewing
Reaction score
first off wanted to say thanks for this great site i know i just joined and have not had alot of posts but i have read tons of posts here to get these crazy ideas firmly planted. Also thanks for all the quality posts that have helped me fine tune these plans.

WARNING I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL
I think that will be evident from the pics of my project. I am impatient, unorganized and under qualified as a builder but all that aside i think its going great. The basis of this project is without question the fermoire(which if you have not seen it search for it now it is a thing of beauty!) i completely stole the layout and just shrunk it down to the size that suited my needs.

The main differences between my build and the fermoire is of course the size(mine is about 1/4 the size of his) and the cooling. I will be using a minifridge that lives in the garage and does little more than add a few bucks to the power bill every month. Luckily it is a very old fridge and all the components are located outside of the walls and should be a pretty simple remove, rewire, reinstall job.

This piece will be located in a corner of my dining room and have a few shelves above it with a glass rack. my idea is to use it as a fermentor for a while until i can build something even better at which point i will add a tap handle or two and call it a day.

sorry to have such a long opener ill get to some pics now. Any advice, comments and/or criticism would greatly appreciated.

My fridge:
fermbar1-1.jpg

compressor:
fermbar2-1.jpg

Basic frame:
fermbar3-1.jpg

Ended up with five layers of board spray foamed and chalk sealed on each layer(did i mention i am a slob... but you wont see any of that mess)
DSC_0136.jpg

5 layers foam board 1 piece plywood 1 piece lamenated board 1 can spray foam 2 tubes chalk... over kill is the way to go!:
DSC_0144.jpg

walls going up just brad nails until i get the upper frame built, then i can rack everything and get it all level:
DSC_0146.jpg

all i have for today gonna start building the foam walls and the shelf in the back for the compressor tom:
DSC_0145.jpg

hope you guys enjoy let me know what you think. update soon.

If anyone can let me know via PM how to imbed the imaged into the post it would be appreciated... sorry to be a nub.

reuben

I think you have to have a minimum of 10 posts before you can post pictures. Once you meet the minimum requirements, just use the image button to point to the url of the pictures and they should be there.

I'm going to follow this build, the wife just may let me put something this size in the dining room. So make sure you document it like crazy. Nice job so far.

got a little bit farther today. dont have to be at work til four tom so we should see some real progress.
fully framed
DSC_0147.jpg

top is just resting until i make a few cut outs to fill it
DSC_0149.jpg

back frame will hold compressor for fridge at bottom(notice the Terrapin Rye squared IPA box good stuff brewed in alabama):
DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

sealing all the frame work up tonight and will start the foamboard walls in the morning.

I dont want to take the wind out of your sails but if you want advice on the framing let me know, otherwise great job.

I have been debating doing a mini version of the fermoire. I will be following your progress for ideas.

When I can afford to I have ben wanting to do something like this for a long while... I hope that all goes well for you, you seem to be off to a great start. I cannot wait to see the completed chiller!

thank you didnt get much done today but here are a few pics:

this will be where the fridge coil is attached so i have 3 layers of foam board in the studs will have two more inside and will fill the gap with the aluminum covered insulation to help keep the heat out:
DSC_0154.jpg

and this will be the interior ceiling:
DSC_0153.jpg

i have some more foamboard preped for the interior wall but wont fit it until i get the top on and level all of the of the studs.

thanks for all the encouragement so far, for my first major project i am pretty pleased thus far.

sorry guys had not gotten much done for a few days. moving along pretty nicely now. top is on and set. started putting up some of the walls and sealing it all up with silicone II very messy but i think it will pay off in the end here are a few pics sorry these kind of jump forward let me know if you have any questions.

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_01602.jpg

DSC_01612.jpg

DSC_01622.jpg

gromitdj: here is a pic with the lay out of the length and the angles i hope it's clear enough my microsoft paint skills are not the best. The height of the beams are 26in and i put a piece of thin MDF board between the top(which is a mirror of the the base) and the beams. let me know if i need to clarify b/c i know this is a piss poor explanation:

demin1.jpg

Nois: thank you sir... although i have to admit that i broke the spray tube and made a right mess of my hands that i done think will be coming off anytime soon. that stuff sets up fast(especially on skin) and i think i got lucky. And on a side note i may have a free fridge coming my way and if i do i believe i will be using your thread for reference for my next build.

Sweet! that thing looks good so far. I love builds like this. If you get a chance, take a pic with a bucket or carboy in there so we can get a feel for how large it is! :mug:

have the one on the first page with just the frame but as soon as i get the rest of the foam board up(which should be tonight) i will get a pic of it loaded up for reference. i believe it will hold two buckets/carboys snugly. i wanted it to be pretty small as the fridge i am using is not very large so i am going kinda nuts on the foam and caulk. hopefully it ends up air tight.

So, about like this then.
Fermbar.jpg

Are you sure that you are going to get a carboy in there? Maybe the sketchup model I have is a little tall, but it looks like it might be close. It looks like the bucket will fit, so imagine a carboy would too. I guess I'll measure the height of my carboy when I get home.

Fermbar-2.jpg

if my memory is correct( both my carboys are at my friends full of soon to be goodness!) the height of the carboy with airlock was around 18.5" and the door way is 26". your mock mock up is AMAZING(!) but the total height of the cab is 33 and 3/4" the length of the studs are 26+the 3&1/2 of each of the frame + the MDF that is between the frame and the studs.

sorry my description was so bad earlier but on a side note that mock up again is AMAZING!

Well been a lil over whelmed by this thing lately but finally got the last of the foam in(well i need a lil bit to trim the doorway for a good seal) i ended up with 3 layers of the r3 foam all the way around inside, 3 in between the "studs", 5 where the coil of the fridge will be mounted and in all this i ate up a lot more space on my inner dimensions then i had expected so i was able to finagle 2 brew buckets in but fully loaded and with more door trim and i dont think that will happen. i also realized that my total inner height of 26.5" may be a bit tight for a corny keg... i think it will fit but it would be close(5 gal keg height = 25" with disconnect 26). so the moral of the story is if you are doing this same project add a few inches up and out or take it a lil easy on the foam board(i prob could have gotten away with 2 layers on the inside). here are some pics as usual.

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

anyone know the dimensions on 5 gal carboys vs the brew buckets?

ok guys i think i have decided that this will be a kegerator only as i have been donated a nice fridge for an undercounter ferm. that being said i have really made some BIG progress in the past few days.
Here is a run down:
-killed the mini fridge
-transplanted the guts
-worked out the wiring
-acquired tap tower(s)*FREE!?!?*

so basically i am one piece of plywood short of having it looking done. i need to seal up around the freon line and finish wiring.

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

hopefully this will all come together nicely.

getting pretty close. got the walls(fins whatever you want to call them) done and on. got basic trim on so i could scribe the top. should cut the top and try to figure out a plan to get the door hinged and on tom after that just need to get my keg kit and we're ready to roll.

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

finished final mock up today. still some filling and sanding to do before staining. also have to insulate and seal around the door other than that we are in the clear.

sorry guys i dont know why i can not embed pics if anyone can help me out with that i would be very thankful.

DSC_0199-1.jpg

DSC_0201-1.jpg

You need 25 posts for photos to show up.

finished final mock up today. still some filling and sanding to do before staining. also have to insulate and seal around the door other than that we are in the clear.

sorry guys i dont know why i can not embed pics if anyone can help me out with that i would be very thankful.

DSC_0199-1.jpg

DSC_0201-1.jpg

Yes, really cool !!!

I want one, but I'll be moving in the winter so I'll have to wait.
I might be doing what I ever dreamed about: an integrated kegerator in the kitchen as the kitchen will have to be rebuilt.

about $15 for 2x4's
(5) sheets of foam board at a/b $10each
(1) sheet melamine board $15
about $35 in silicone... i went crazy trying to seal it up.
$20 on hinges/ hardware
$40 for the birch on the outside
a/b $20 in trim

i already had the fridge and the tap tower was given to me as well as a few odds and ends but other than that i think that's about it. i have spent some picking up a few tools/ bits i needed but it dont think that counts.

so long post short about: $200

been pretty busy lately working two jobs so this project has been moving a little slower than i would like but i did finish all the sanding prep and added a first coat of special walnut stain. i was going for a kind of old pub look on the finish. i think this will come off pretty well. the pics look more splotchy than it does in natural light plus it was still wet.

DSC_0203-1.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

Back