My Mead's Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonek

Reaction score
I've had a Mead fermenting/aging since last winter of '07. Crystal clear, tastes good, but still very young. My question is where my FG is.

This recipe is 5 gallons of water, 1 gallon of honey and Mead Yeast. OG was 1075. I calculated the FG to be 1015. When I measured it last night it was 1002. Is that odd? I don't see anything wrong with the Mead and my hydrometer isn't broke. I've checked other beers and water and it seems to be fine.

I plan on drinking it eventually, just wondered if anyone has an idea on my FG.

Mead is totally different from beer. Honey has few unfermentables, meads have high ABV and therefor, low FG. Don't be surprised if it hits 0.990.

I am so glad that I can across this thread. I am in the same boat now: my readings have gone from 1.04 to 1.00 over the past few weeks! needless to say I was a little surprised myself. Now I can RDWHAHB. :mug:

Those will be dry meads. No problem is that's what you're shooting for. To controll the sweetness of mead, you must know your yeast's alcohol tollerance level. If you add less honey than the yeast can consume, you'll have a dry mead. If you add more than the yeast can sonsume you'll have a sweet mead. How much over gravity you push it determines how sweet it will be. This will vary with the type of yeast you use.

Back