Cleaning blowoff tube hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwcm

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I had enough stuff lying around to rig a blowoff tube for my last ferment. Went like bonkers for a while and foam galore came out of it. Last night I switched it out to an airlock because the krausen had fallen and i was no longer in danger of kaboom. Problem now is that my hose has bunches of dried beer bits in it and i can't figure out how to clean it. It's 5/16" ish hose (and a standard plastic racking cane) and I don't know what I can use to scrub the crap out.

Suggestions?

Next time,as soon as you remove,it run some warm water from the tap through it to rinse it out as much as you can. Then put in in a bucket or long tray with PBW solution. Make sure the cleaner is run solidly through the length of the tubing. Dito with the racing cane. Make sure it stays submerged for whatever time it takes to soak it clean. Then repeat the rinse step,as PBW must be rinsed off. I then put a funnel in one end of the tube,the other end in a clean empty jug,& pour starsan solution through it for some 30 seconds. Remove the funnel & hang it over a chair to air dry before storage. They'll get very clean this way.

If mine is getting spotty or I have doubts I run my carboy brush through it. It is short enough if I go from both ends I can get the entire thing. This, of course, wouldn't work with a smaller OD blow-off tube. I use one that fits the entire opening. :p

Yeah, you dont want to chance having junk left in it,remove it as soon as you dont need it then rinse well with hot water and like unionrdr said,to use pbw or something,it removes deposits unlike sanitizers.Then rinse well sanitize and hang,then resanitize before using again. I would only use that one as your blow off tube and have a second one for racking. Although using pbw should work every time.Thats why i immediately well rinse with hot water,my autosiphon or bottleing spigot/ filler etc. and soak with all the tight spots it has that has potential to colllect junk. Its like leaving pots/pans out without rinsing and then doing dishes im strict about rinising your dishes after using them too because i do them too and theres nothing like crusted cheese or eggs caked to a pan all dried up,never fails to piss me off.Ha.Hot Rinse-soak

i use a tube cleaning brush that my LHBS sells in various lengths and brush sizes.

I just dealt with this today - had krausen resudue almost a week old in mine.

A soak in hot "brewery cleaner" solution (from AHS) handled it with no problem at all.

Having the same problem, so bringing this thread from the dead.

I have a 1" blowoff tube, and I can get my bottle brush almost all the way to the middle, but not quite. I've soaked it in a hot Oxyclean solution twice and attacked it with the bottle brush from both sides, and there's still a little bit of gunk in the very middle. Is there anything else to do here? Is there a point at which it's just not worth worrying about anymore? I'd really rather not have to buy a new blowoff tube every time I brew (my carboy was a gift, I was told it was 6 gallons, but I learned the hard way that it only holds 5.5, so blowoff is not unusual)

PBW or somthing similar soaking overnight will break it down,just rinse well after.With a 1 inch tube i would think you could almost shove a tiny rag through it even.

PBW or somthing similar soaking overnight will break it down,just rinse well after.With a 1 inch tube i would think you could almost shove a tiny rag through it even.

Is Oxyclean a thing like PBW, or are they very different? Because I've already done the overnight soak in Oxyclean. I could definitely squeeze a small rag in there, I'm just not sure I could get it back out again. haha

Tie a string to the end of your bottle brush, run the string through the tube, then pull it through. Do this a couple times and I'm sure it'll get it good enough.

Kevin

Back