Carbonation Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horseman

Reaction score
For a few batches in a row, I've struggled with beers being overcarbonated. I'm using a calculator I found online that seems to match with other websites and books I've read. For example, I brewed an IPA and primed with 2.6oz of white sugar. I bottle and store at around 67 to 70F this time of year.

The bottles won't explode, but when opened, many of them foam out the top. If they don't, they are still very foamy and overcarbonated. I've thought about just cutting the priming sugar in half, but that's more of a workaround, not a solution..and it might not even fix the problem if it's a deeper issue.

As far as sanitization goes, I soak the bottles (and other equipment) for at least 5 minutes in Iodopher before using.

Considering priming tablets and/or other carbonating methods. Thanks for any input!

What style of beer?

What yeast?

The snorting sound you hear in the background is my oldest teenager laughing at me for doing stupid dad tricks.

2011-06-21_Sour-Pour 002.MOV - YouTube

This my wheat beer. I get a citrus flavor and lots of foam.

Also - you may want to investigate threads showing up at the bottom of this page too.

What style of beer?

What yeast?

The snorting sound you hear in the background is my oldest teenager laughing at me for doing stupid dad tricks.

2011-06-21_Sour-Pour 002.MOV - YouTube

This my wheat beer. I get a citrus flavor and lots of foam.

Also - you may want to investigate threads showing up at the bottom of this page too.

IPA, Brown Ale, Scotch were most recent and badly carbonated
Wyeast - various assortments (scottish, belgians)

I'll check those threads as well.

Thinking about giving corn sugar a chance using the 5oz bag NB offers. Even thought about getting priming tabs, that's how desperate I am.

Back