need hefe weizen recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
Looking for a tried and true hefe weizen recipe (extract or partial mash).

Most importantly looking for a BIG BANANA and CLOVE character.:ban: with nice cloudy yeasty appearance.

Love my german wheat beers, just never brewed one. generally don't like american wheats, not banana and clovey enough.

thanks in advance for the recipe.

any thoughts or experiences with Safebrew wb06?
some of their other strains have worked well for me.

looking for a big banana and clove character... and the yeast is the key for this.

thanks tenchiro!

similar to what I came up with over lunch.

6 lb dry wheat malt extract
.25 lb munich malt
.5 lb flaked wheat
.625 oz 4%aa hallertau hersbruck 60 min

safebrew wb06 – not going to put fermentor in water bath to keep ferment temps in the upper 60s try try to get the strong wheat character i'm looking for.

any experience with wyeast 3068 (smack pak)

thanks tenchiro!

similar to what I came up with over lunch.

6 lb dry wheat malt extract
.25 lb munich malt
.5 lb flaked wheat
.625 oz 4%aa hallertau hersbruck 60 min

safebrew wb06 – not going to put fermentor in water bath to keep ferment temps in the upper 60s try try to get the strong wheat character i'm looking for.

I went with the Liberty because my LHBS didn't have any Noble hops originally I was going to go with Hallertau. I have not used 3068 but I have used 3056 a couple of times and was good. Although for the price WB-06 makes a great wheat beer, although the esthers seem to come through more w/ 3056.

I'm about to bottle a hefe I brewed with 3068 sometime this week. Fermented it in my closet, which, this time of year, hovers around 65-66F. During vigorous fermentation, the strip thermometer read up to 69-70F. Now that the kraeusen has fallen, there's plenty of clove flavor, a little banana (especially in the nose), and some good tartness. Very nice. I'm hoping I don't lose any of those flavors as it matures.

I'm about to bottle a hefe I brewed with 3068 sometime this week. Fermented it in my closet, which, this time of year, hovers around 65-66F. During vigorous fermentation, the strip thermometer read up to 69-70F. Now that the kraeusen has fallen, there's plenty of clove flavor, a little banana (especially in the nose), and some good tartness. Very nice. I'm hoping I don't lose any of those flavors as it matures.

Went with the 3068, and got a WB-06 as a back up.

uncleozzy or tenchiro,
did you make a starter or just pitch the smack pack?

Bottling my 6% American brown ale this weekend, brewing the Honey Coriander Lager on Tuesday or Weds (so I can have it fermenting while my heat is turned way down while I'm away on vacation over christmas)

Mit Hefe is going to be first brew of 2009! Can't wait!!

did you make a starter or just pitch the smack pack?

I made a 1L starter, but only left it for about 24 hours... and, due to a thermometer malfunction, accidentally pitched way colder than I'd meant to (in the high 50s). It started up within 12 hours, anyhow. You might get away with just pitching it as-is, but you may as well make a starter.

(I still haven't gotten around to bottling this hefe... which means I'll have to wait even longer to drink it. It's killing me!)

I've made two batches of hefeweizen using dead simple 6lb wheat DME and 1oz hallertauer (0.5 at 60, 0.5 at 15). Based around Homebrewer_99's recipe, I think.

But the big thing that gives you the clove/banana is the yeast: go for a smak pak - I used 3068 and washed it, reused it for the second batch. Then it's temp - higher temp is more banana, lower is more clove (I believe). I'd definitely stump for the liquid yeast. I just pitched the smak pak after smacking it, to be honest.

I just did the NB Honey Weizen kit with 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast and it turned out awesome. Nice and crisp with lots of banana/clove going on.

Only two pieces of advice. I think fermenting in the 60-65 range will help produce the clean hefeweizen character that we expect from commercial examples of the style. Second (applicable only if you're mashing), if you do a rest at ~113 you help an enzyme that produces the precursor to the clove flavor.

due to a thermometer malfunction, accidentally pitched way colder than I'd meant to (in the high 50s)

Actually it could've helped your weizen. There's a rule of thumb (heard it on JZ show), that pitching temp and fermentatnion temp should sum up to 30C, to make a good weizen. If you pitched at 55 (~12C) and fermented at 66 (~18C), you're in a sweet spot.

I'll be making weizen next week, and I'll try pitching and fermenting in a similar manner.

Hefe update:

Been in primary for 1 week still bubbling along for a week (more slowly now). Popped top of plastic bucket... still a big thick 2-3" tall Krausen after a WEEK! Fermenting at 65°ish. never seen a krausen last soo long! producing good esters. can't wait to get this one into a bottle, but can't rush those hard working yeasties!

starrfish, if you'd really like to get a bigger banana flavor/smell, go ahead and bump the temp up to 70-72*F until it ferments out. That's how I brew my hefeweizen and it has a very pronounced banana character.

Just brewed a Heff over the w/e. 72 deg massive ferment for nearly 8 hrs almost blew the lid off when it plugged the air valve. Smells are Great... now the wait.

Very simple recipie, All DME with 1.5 oz 60 min boil and 1/2 oz at shut off (10min wait) then Chill.

Kept it al 72 for the first 36 hrs then down to 68 and holding for 7 more days.. then straight to keg.

We shall see how it turns out.

Did you find a recipe?

starrfish, if you'd really like to get a bigger banana flavor/smell, go ahead and bump the temp up to 70-72*F until it ferments out. That's how I brew my hefeweizen and it has a very pronounced banana character.

house temps are around 65° moved the bucket closer to the heat vent, temps are moving up almost to 70° getting some nice esters still a huge krausen.

esters coming from the bucket are very fruity, some recognizable banana!

Back