Simple light ale for summer and others

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Hi all.....

I've only made one batch thus far, from a kit (LME and hop pellets with nottingham dry yeast) and thus far has turned out well, keeps getting better every week. For my next beer I'm wanting to make a beer that will be fairly light colored, not crazy bitter, but moderately bitter.....in other words still tasty that I will enjoy during the summer. The other reason for making a beer like this is to try to make a beer SWMBO's mom and my mom will like when they come over for cookouts, etc. As they both prefer pretty light beer (generally Miller Lite). So I figure this will be a good comprise, something they like and maybe get them to try something better than usual and something I'll still enjoy drinking. Here's a receipe I whipped up on the internet, please tell me what you think. (First crack at a receipe after reading books and reading lots of posts here.....probably too many posts, but that's another story.)

Brewer: Justin Sieglaff
Email: -
Beer: Hazy Days Ale
Style: American Pale Ale
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5.0 gallons
Color: 9 HCU (~7 SRM)
Bitterness: 35 IBU
OG: 1.055 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 5.9% v/v (4.6% w/w)
Grain: 0 lb. 8 oz. American crystal 10L
Steep: I'm guessing steep @ 150^f for 30 min.
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.074 3.75 gallons
6 lb. 0 oz. Light dry malt extract (actually might opt for x-light dry from my LHBS)
Hops: 1.0 oz. Perle (8% AA, 60 min.)
1.0 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 5 min.)
Yeast: 1338 European Ale Yeast
Carbonation: 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

Comments? Suggestions? Please share!

I think based on your description and stated purpose (SWMBO, MIL, light beer) you'd be closer to that goal with something in the 4-4.5% abv range. Perhaps a few less IBU's (upper 20's-30), unless you're trying to condition their tastebuds. If they like Miller Lite they don't even know what a hop tastes like (like Joe Pesci in that movie ordering a 'grit').

If, like me, you can't really bring yourself to brew that you could always consider an American wheat, light on the hops and fermented with 1056.

Or you could go ahead and brew it and they'll probably politely tell you how wonderful it is and pour it in the plants behind your back! Can't live with 'em, can't....

:drunk:

For a lighter beer I would use the Extra Light DME and reduce the amount by a pound. Then I'd reduce the Perle hops by half.

For color, I'd do a "late boil". That's where you brew in 1.5 gal of water and only add 1 lb of malt, boil for 45 mins and add the remaining malt. All of my "late boil" brews have been coming out half as light.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
For a lighter beer I would use the Extra Light DME and reduce the amount by a pound. Then I'd reduce the Perle hops by half.

For color, I'd do a "late boil". That's where you brew in 1.5 gal of water and only add 1 lb of malt, boil for 45 mins and add the remaining malt. All of my "late boil" brews have been coming out half as light.:D

Thanks for the replies. I've finalized and purchased all my ingredients for my brew this Sunday 4/2. I'm considering doing the "late boil" to keep the color of the beer light. I was curious are there any drawbacks to this method that anyone has experienced? I don't know maybe impact on IBU's, not long enough for hot break of the late added malt, final beer more cloudy?

Thanks again,

Justin

Brew it the way you planned, bottle 3 gallons. Add a gallon of distilled water, bottle for the grannies. Works for the big guys. I'm serious, you'd be down around 4% ABV, 20 IBU.

Back