Anyone have experience with these kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bytor1100

Reaction score
I just got 3 of these kegs today. I was thinking about converting them into fermenters. I know the bottom caps come off and the bottom is rounded like the all steel ones, but without a base to keep them.
I was wondering if anyone knew if the top cap is the same way, or if there are actual metal handles inside the rubber cap. I don't really want to rip it off and find out that it's like the bottom.
Thanks
keg2.jpg

You cut a hole in the top and use them for boil pots, MLTs, HLTs?

I guess you could do fermentation in one as well.

They won't work as boil kettlese because of the rounded base when the rubber cap is removed.

If the stem housing has a snap ring you can remove the stem assy and use it as a fermenter. You can clean them like any carboy with PBW or cascade dishwasher detergent and very hot water and long carboy brush. Rinse real well upside down with hot water. I made a copper tube wand for my hose nozzle and suspended the keg in the air to be able to rinse it upside down. You will have to rig a blowoff hose for it. I made a plastic piece that fits where the stem went and put the snap ring back to hold it. A threaded barb is threaded into this plastic piece. Don't put more than 12 gallons in there or it will come out the blowoff. I put mine in the fridge or at least put it in a party bucket with water in it and add ice as necessary to maintain 65F.

If you have a little welding knowledge the round bottoms poses no problem. Those kegs would make a nice clean looking set up naked. ( with out the rubber tops and bottoms)

Well I wanted to convert them into kettles at first, but then figured they might be easier to use as fermenters. I was thinking about cutting the tops and making a sealing lid for a fermenter. If I did that the rubber top would have to come off. But I don't want to lose the handles. I'm just trying to get an idea of what these could be used best as.

I think you were correct in your thinking. Use them as a fermenter. See my earlier post about how I use them. WBC

Bytor - look for WortMonger's posts on this - you don't need to cut-n-seal anything. Use the keg as-is, and modify a Sankey tap for blowoff valve use.

Apparently WM has had Great Success cleaning the insides afterwards, no need to cut open the top.

I'd like to be able to get a few of those myself - forget Better Bottles!:ban:
-keith

Back