Using 2nd runnings for yeast propagation wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnitty

Reaction score
Is there any reason I couldn't use the second runnings from my next mash to propagate yeast in the future? I figure that if I sparge a little extra and collect the runoff that wort would be fine to save in a gallon jug. Sure, it might be weak but if I boil it when it's time to grow yeast cells I will A) concentrate the wort, increasing the gravity and B) Sterilize the wort before pitching the White Labs vial. Purchasing and working with DME is annoying.

Thank,
Dean

I don't know why that wouldn't work. I would freeze the wort though. It's full of wild yeast and bacteria, and if given any chance at all, they will start to ferment the wort.

Sure, I do that all the time. The thing to remember is to boil the wort before storing it, just briefly, to kill the lactobacillus and avoiding souring the wort before you use it.

I usually take those last runnings if they are over about 1.020 and boil them to get a wort of 1.035 or so, and then freeze it in a big pitcher. When it's time to make a starter, I take it out, thaw it and put it in my flask and boil briefly to sanitize and then cool and pitch my yeast.

This is called a 'real wort starter'.

I do it all the time. I agree that you should boil it before you store it. Sometimes I just prepare to brew an extra half gallon of wort and draw it off after the boil has begun. Even if I FWH it's not that hoppy and it helps protect from spoilage. Other times I do a separate boil on the stove with later runnings as you described. Then I pour it into sanitized .5 gal mason jars and refrigerate it. By boiling before hand all I have to do to make a starter is pull a jar out to warm up a little, sanitize the flask and stirbar, and pour it right in! The yeast and wort are exactly the same temp so no shock.

I no chill my beers. I always up my recipe by half a gallon and use the extra wort to do my starter with. This works out perfectly and my wort is at pitching temperature right as my starter is ready to go.

I no chill my beers. I always up my recipe by half a gallon and use the extra wort to do my starter with. This works out perfectly and my wort is at pitching temperature right as my starter is ready to go.

I often do this to really get the yeast going before pitching, especially if I made a starter way early and crash cooled. My batches take right off when I do this!

Back