Zero activity in my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, I did a cal. ale yeast 001, 2L starter this morning. I'm using a stir plate and there is barely a dimple on the surface for a vortex. I can see the rotation but there is absolutely nothing to indicate yeast activity. I have only done 6 or 7 starters and I've only had my stir plate for the last 3 brews. That being said, I have noticed bubbles and activity on my other starters and was confident things were working properly after only a couple of hours. I don't think I have ever used the wyeast 001 before so maybe this is normal. I've been trying to RDWHAHB. But its not working. Should I worry? Thanks.

All you need is a very small dimple. Is the color changing? Stir plate startes do not always show much activity, but you will notice the color get lighter. If it is getting lighter it indicates more yeast in suspension.

Check it tomorrow morning and look at the color.

This has happens to me from time to time. Check it tomorrow, should be good. Are you doing a step up?

I apologize for my ignorance, but I am not familiar with a "step up". I will leave the stir plate on until morning. After it sits, it may start perking.
If there is no activity by morning would I be able to make an effective starter in 4-5 hours? Or should I just pitch some dry yeast.

Back