Mellow Yellow Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucholz

Reaction score
My wife doesn't really enjoy beer, but she loves this stuff! It didn't start put as a clone, but it is quite similar to Mellow Yellow. If you want something more like Mountain Dew, replace the orange juice with lemon and lime juice.

3 Gal water
Finely Grated Zest and Juice from 4 lemons
Finely Grated Zest and Juice from 3 limes
Finely Grated Zest and Juice from 6 oranges
3 small (2.5") sticks of cinnamon, broken into small pieces
2 tablespoons dried bitter orange peel
4 tablespoons dried sweet orange peel
2 tablespoons dried lemon orange peel
2 tablespoons coriander seed
1 tablespoon gum arabic (optional)
3 pounds sugar
1/4 pk EC-1118 yeast

Yeilds 36- 12 oz bottles

Combine the water, lemon zest, lime zest, orange zest, cinnamon, bitter orange peel, sweet orange peel, lemon peel coriander seed, and gum arabic (if using). Whisk together until gum arabic dissolves. Stir in the sugar and bring to boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and stir in the lemon, lime and orange juice. Let cool, then strain into bottling bucket. Follow standard sanitization practices when handling the cooled soda.
When mixture has cool to 80* pitch your yeast. Allow the yeast For best results hydrate your yeast in a cup of the mixture for several minutes before pouring into the main batch.
Bottle in PET bottles or glass beer bottles with crown caps. When using glass, it is a good idea to fill 1 PET bottle to monitor carbonation levels.
Store bottles in a cool, dark closet. The yeast will naturally carbonate the soda in about 2 days. Leaving the bottles at room temperature for more than 3-4 days will result in bottle bombs.
48 hours after bottling, open a test bottle. If it is too flat, wait 12 hours and open another one. The carbonation level in this soda builds faster than root beer, so you need to keep an eye on this to avoid overcarbonation.
When the proper level of carbonation is reach, cold crash the soda in refridgerator. This will temporarily halt the carbonation process. If you take it out of the fridge and allow it to warm up, the yeasties will go back to working their carbonation magic.

Gum arabic is included to increase mouth-feel. If you don't use it, your soda will feel thin. I personally don't use gum arabic, I like the like the thin, light feel of this soda.

Figured I'd check out the soda recipes here, and this one looks interesting. I'd like to make a batch next time a soda keg frees up. I just wanted to check for those that have made it, 3 pounds of sugar in 3 gallons sounds like quite a bit. Is that actually the correct amount?

So I brewed this up this past weekend and thought I'd share my feedback in case other folks come across this thread. First, here are the changes I made to the recipe:

- I did not use the gum arabic. I don't use it for my other sodas, so I figure why bother now.

- It said coriander seed but did not say if it should be ground or not. I went with whole seeds, instead of ground coriander like I would use in a Gose.

- Kegged and force carbed, so I did not use any yeast.

I basically brought everything to a boil like it said, killed the heat, and then let it steep for about 15 minutes, treating it sort of like an herbal tea.

Then I chilled it down in an ice bath (not for future self - 3 gallons in an ice bath takes forever!!! would probably do 1 gallon steep mixed with 2 gallons cool water).

I added the juice directly to my keg then strained my steeped "tea" into the keg, and then I shook like hell to make sure everything was mixed well.

Carbed at 30PSI (40F) for 3 days, served at 30 PSI.

Overall this is pretty good, not exactly a Mellow Yellow clone, but a heck of a lot closer then I would have came trying to make up my own recipe. Both my wife and I (the only other person to try it so far) think the cinnamon is a bit much, so I would probably cut it down to 2 of the small sticks next time.

How important are the dried peels? I'm thinking if trying this but don't have close access to these. I wouldn't think it would have a huge effect.

I think they are pretty integral to the recipe; I would not make it without them. FYI - you can get them for a reasonable price at Amazon.

Also, after finishing off nearly a keg of this, I would stick with the original recipe, using 3 cinnamon sticks, instead of reducing to 1 like I mentioned earlier. It mellows out after a few days in the keg, and then it's really good!

Sounds good. I'll have a look on Amazon and see if I can give this a try. Thanks for the quick response.

Back