A racking to secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I have only made one batch of wine and I have a question. When you rack the wine into a secondary fermenter is there supposed to be a yeast cake on the bottom as is the case with beer?

I haven't done many wines, but there is usually something left behind in the primary.
I think they call them the "Lees", right?

Yup their should be sediment left behind fruit particles and yeast ect.

ok, i did one (my first) recently that when it came time to transfer there was some watery sludge at the bottom but no cake. I didn't know if I tried to transfer too early, or if not whether or not I should transfer the sludge. My thought was no, but there was a large amount of it.

Depends what your source of grapes was. Fresh grapes will no doubt throw a two inch layer of gunk at you. A wine kit may give some sediment but most will be less than a half or quarter inch worth .

I did a batch made from store bought grape juice concentrate. Very little left behind and it cleared up nice.

Back