Cabot Habanero Cheese - the pinnacle of cheesy pain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know, not a cheesemaking post

Cabot Hot Habenero Cheddar.

Nice, semi-dry vermont cheddar. The white cheddar alone is excellent. Slightly crumbly. Dank, sharp flavor.

The habanero will kick your butt. If you have a problem with this kind of assault, please avoid this cheese. If you like the hot, this one's for you. This is HOT. You've been warned.

c16-1_R_17ea472e.jpg

Being a Vermonter, I greatly appreciate Cabot cheese. I was thrilled to see it when I visited Alaska. Cabot makes a cheese called Seriously Sharp cheddar (which I believe is also Hunter's Sharp cheddar)

I can fathom building a wicked grilled cheese blending the hot habanero and seriously sharp.

I know, not a cheesemaking post

Cabot Hot Habenero Cheddar.

Nice, semi-dry vermont cheddar. The white cheddar alone is excellent. Slightly crumbly. Dank, sharp flavor.

The habanero will kick your butt. If you have a problem with this kind of assault, please avoid this cheese. If you like the hot, this one's for you. This is HOT. You've been warned.

http://cached.dakinfarm.com/RS/SR/Product/72/c16-1_R_17ea472e.jpg[/quote]

I need this....

I like spicy foods, but the description of that makes it seem like you'd be wasting good cheese on something that just tasted like Habanero.

Counterpoint?

I like spicy foods, but the description of that makes it seem like you'd be wasting good cheese on something that just tasted like Habanero.

Counterpoint?

Hmmm.... it's really good?

You're right, your mouth only get's to enjoy the cheddar for about 5 seconds, there's the shock of the pepper, followed by some numbing of the taste buds. I love the stuff, not everyone will.

Do a search on the forum. I'm sure someone has put habaneros in their beer.

I grew Bih Jolokia in my garden this year. They are extremely hot. I don't think I'd put any in my beer, but I would consider putting them in cheese. I need to make some cheese.

hothabanero8oz.png

I've got half a block in the 'fridge that I'll enjoy with some black beans for lunch today. Great cheese.

hadabar - "Had anyone put habaneros in their beer yet?"

Triangle Brewing (Raleigh, NC) made one that was served at last year's annual pepper festival in the town I live in (didn't go this year, may have done so again). It was excellent - the floral/apricot flavor came through nicely with a mild burn almost as an afterthought.

Also, a search found this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/5x-pepper-beers-172082/

Fatherjack - "feck, arse, girls, drink". Father Jack Hackett is one of the best tv personalities of all time. :rockin:

Counterpoint?

The sharpness of the cheddar is very much still there -- it's a nice blend of both.

Depending on your tolerance, you may not even find the cheese as overwhelmingly hot as passedpawn insinuates. I love the cheese, but I don't think it's absurdly hot or anything.

The sharpness of the cheddar is very much still there -- it's a nice blend of both.

Depending on your tolerance, you may not even find the cheese as overwhelmingly hot as passedpawn insinuates. I love the cheese, but I don't think it's absurdly hot or anything.

Yep, this... I'm eating slices of this with pretzel snaps right now and it is awesome!

This is the best cheese to put on a burger too. The pepper jack disappears after a little grilling, but the habanero jack stands up for itself and delivers a nice touch of heat.

Good stuff!

I know I'm late to the game, but the Hot Habanero is really great cheese - I'm snacking on it right now. My only wish is that it was made with a sharper cheddar.

Until a year ago, I had never heard of Cabot. Now we keep at least two different Cabot products at any given time.

This is the best cheese to put on a burger too. The pepper jack disappears after a little grilling, but the habanero jack stands up for itself and delivers a nice touch of heat.

Good stuff!

I have had a few blocks of this on my breakfast burritos. Great stuff.

Agreed. This cheese is a major contributor to many of my sandwiches and savory breakfast items.

Good call on the burgers although I've not yet used it on my burgers since I use hot "sweet/tangy ozark pickles" on them and don't think they'd work together.

I used to be able to get this stuff locally, but the grocery store chain got bought out, and the local restaurant that sold it stopped carrying it as well, as the supplier kept shipping them moldy blocks (complete lack of correct handling on distributor's part).

Anyways, yeah this cheese is badass. I just got some family to bring some into town. And by some, I mean 12 blocks.

Best part is the variance in hotness. Sometimes you'll get a milder piece, but then sometimes you get a slice that absolutely kicks your ass.

Unfortunately, you to get experience that twice, if you know what I mean.

Love this stuff, I buy blocks from Costco and cold smoke them in my smoker. But like nick said...you get to experience the hotness twice.

OK, cold smoking -- please elaborate. Unfortunately I've got a Weber bullet smoker so obviously cold smoking is probably out of the question, but I gotta know for the future.

OK, cold smoking -- please elaborate. Unfortunately I've got a Weber bullet smoker so obviously cold smoking is probably out of the question, but I gotta know for the future.

Get yourself one of these, http://www.amazenproducts.com I have one and love it

Or, you can take an empty soup can (label removed), fill it with wood chips, stick a soldering iron into the wood chips, and plug it in. Put the can/iron into they bottom of your smoker and voila, smoke but no heat.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I've gone there several times before but never checked out cheese smoking. Def will have to give it a shot smoking the Cabot.

haha, this is great. My 13 year old son loves this stuff. He will sit and eat it a quarter pound at a time. I like it on quesadillas but only a tiny bit mixed in with other cheeses.

This stuff is wicked, I bought it on special at the local Giant supermarket.

I like smoking their Vermont cheddar and then stuff it in my bacon wrapped jalapenos

I have done this very thing...Atomic Buffalo Turds is what they're known as in the smoking world. I take the pre-smoked cheese, cut into sticks, place in a jalapeno that I cut the top off and "cored" the seeds and veins out, wrap the 'peno in bacon, and throw in the smoker. I've done the same with the smoked habanero cabot, and lets just say smoked habanero cheddar in a jalapeno...make sure you're near a bathroom the next day!

PintoBean, I just took my last block of this yesterday, and smoked it for 2 hrs with applewood (along with some 16 month Cabot sharp white cheddar and some Whole Foods pepperjack), then vac-sealed them and back into the fridge to rest for 2 wks. I got the 12" A-Maze-N cold smoking tube you referenced me and a cheap Bernzomatic torch from HD -- it works great!

I bet this is gonna transform the Cabot habanero into something really epic.

I keep seeing cold smoking mentioned and now I have to go look it up. Thanks.

This sounds like a plug, but it's so easy with the A-Maze-N products. I just got the tube smoker, which is essentially a steel tube with a meshwork of holes (see here).

You fill the tube with pellets, then light one end with the torch til it's going good (~3-5 mins w/a torch), then blow it out. Then you just place it in whatever grill/smoker you have (unheated), and the tube will smoke the pellets like a cigarette, essentially.

With cheese, you want to let the cheese come to room temp (or close to it) before beginning, as a lot of liquid will come to the surface, and you want to wipe that off before starting.

I LOVE Cabot Creamy Habanero cheddar!!!! I never dared to dream that a commercially made cheese would actually be that HOT.

LOVE IT.

Latest posts

Back