The Great 2007 HBT Belly Off Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayrton

Reaction score
Strange as it may seem to find this in a forum dedicated to beer, we've decided to have a weight loss competition for everyone here at HBT (props to Reverend_JC for prompting all of this).

How To Enter
Reply to this post stating your intention to enter the competition. State your current weight and a "before" picture of yourself (if you're not home, you can post the pic later). You don't have to be shirtless (actually, please wear a shirt :D ), but it should give a pretty good idea of how you look now.

Entries will be accepted for as long as the competition runs (after all, entering late is a disadvantage).

The competition will end on 6/21.

Please note that by entering, you agree to give up one of your homebrews to the winner as stated below.

How To Win
Lose the largest percentage of body weight by the end of the competition (6/21). Straight weight loss would be unfair, so the next best thing is to use percentages. For example, if you weigh 250 pounds now, and at the end of the competition, you've lost 10 pounds, then you've lost (10/250) * 100 = 4% of your original body weight.

PLEASE NOTE: Late entries are perfectly fine, but your final weigh-in CANNOT occur after June 21st. Mark it on your calendars.

What's At Stake
Beer! The winner will receive 1 bottle of homebrew from each competitor. This will enable the winner to put the weight lost right back on.

Want To Get In On The Action, But Don't Want/Need To Lose Weight?
olllllo's got you covered.

Good luck!

--------------------------------

Official Contestants
ayrton - 215
Beermaker - 302.6
Brewsmith - 240
Cheesefood - 252
Cregar - 280
dibby33 - 192
EdWort - 289
Fiery Sword - 232
freyguy - 270
ill.literate - 270
Ivan Lendl - 160
McKBrew - 217
Pirate Ale - 227
Proofman - 289
Reverend JC - 282
RichBrewer - 229
Rhoobarb - ?
rod - 206
Ryanh1801 - 270.6
sause - 225
Shot Drive - 278
SpamDog - 258
Thaumaturgist - 210
todd_k - 237
Vermicous - 224
Walker-san - 220
Willsellout - 223

Unofficial Contestant (but still sending beer to the winner)
Yooper

I'm in. I'm setting my personal goal for 20 pounds by then, but we'll see how well I do.

I'll repost the picture of me later.

When is the 'offical' weigh-in? All entrants should start (i.e. weigh themselves) on the same day regardless of when during the next week they sign up, no?

How about Sunday for the weigh-in? This gives us all a couple days to get mentally prepared for the challenge.

EDIT: 3:00pm CST. This way, no one is "holding on" to any "extra weight". (In other words, dump before weighing.)

Take a picture of the scale too. Technically, you should be nude when weighing so make sure the picture shows ONLY the scale. (Unless you're Yooper Chick).

Dude said:
I'm in.

I think if we all survive this one, we should do another one after a week of rest, and make it for 2 weeks instead of one.
Decoction rest weight loss?

EDIT: you mean 2 beers instead of one, right? Contest ends June 21st.

Yikes, I feel bad - JC just responded about running it. Damn it all!

Fiery Sword said:
When is the 'offical' weigh-in? All entrants should start (i.e. weigh themselves) on the same day regardless of when during the next week they sign up, no?

Yeah, that seems only fair. I think I'd have to let everyone weigh in on this (pardon the pun).

LMAO.. ok... I might be into this.

I dropped about 35 pounds last year (I called it the Big D weight loss plan) but I've put about 15 of it back on. Lemme think on this. Sounds like a blast though.

Dude said:
I'm in.

I think if we all survive this one, we should do another one after a week of rest, and make it for 2 weeks instead of one.

Entries are one week. The competition is three months. :rockin:

Cheesefood said:
How about Sunday for the weigh-in? This gives us all a couple days to get mentally prepared for the challenge.

EDIT: 3:00pm CST. This way, no one is "holding on" to any "extra weight". (In other words, dump before weighing.)

Take a picture of the scale too. Technically, you should be nude when weighing so make sure the picture shows ONLY the scale. (Unless you're Yooper Chick).

Ok, so should we terminate entry on Sunday instead of next Wednesday? I guess a week is excessive for collecting everyone.

Cheesefood said:
Actually, it would be cool if it started tonight:

Vernal Equinox to Summer Solstice.

Ok, works for me. Let's see how many people we can nab today.

Sorry about that, Dude. You could lose the weight in a week and then just keep it off for three months. :D

Are the dates going to be a problem for anyone else? I don't wanna lose too many people.

I'd rather start this weekend, as it makes it easy to prep the fridge and cabinets - but I'd start whenever the consensus wants to. The overriding factor should be participation - 3 people would b a bummer. 10+ would be much better.....

This is my official entry, by the way: I weighed 215.4 this morning, and even if I put on a pound of water weight or whatever until I post a pic, that's the weight I'm starting with. I definitely won't weigh less than that.

Count me in. I weighed myself last night right before i got in the shower............................6'6" and 282:(

I guess that will allow me to lose a higher percentage.

I think you will all have a leg up on my already. after 2 days i think i may have pulled something just behind and below the right knee. Do not get to excited though. i will use today as a day to rest the legs and cardio and lift weights. assuming all soreness in knee gone tomorrow i will be back on the bike:rockin:

Pictures to follow shortly.

i am in canada but would like to participate.
per the gym scale last night 206 lbs
height 5 ft 11 inches

rod said:
i am in canada but would like to participate.
per the gym scale last night 206 lbs
height 5 ft 11 inches

So long as customs doesn't come and kick my ass if you win and I send you some beer, then I see no problem! :tank:

You know, now that I think about it, it might make more sense to simply allow people to sign up and weigh in whenever they want. It's to their own advantage to sign up earlier, but it doesn't hurt the rest of us if people sign up after today, since they'll have less time to lose weight than we did.

What do we think?

Cheese- are you pushing out your stomach? If not the you myfriend have a kindred belly in NE.:mug:

I will see if i have any flaming drawers to wear, i suppose i have a thong from 80 lbs ago...........................:drunk:

Reverend JC said:
Cheese- are you pushing out your stomach? If not the you myfriend have a kindred belly in NE.:mug:

I will see if i have any flaming drawers to wear, i suppose i have a thong from 80 lbs ago...........................:drunk:

I actually have a pair of flaming boxers, but Cheese is a braver man than I.

Reverend JC said:

Pushing out? Friend, I'm sucking in.

That's going to stay there as a reminder that when I'm here, I could be excercising.

I'm sorry- I'm not playing. I'll still try to lose a few, but not "officially". I will send a beer to the winner, though.

I'm not playing for only one reason- no way I can win! If I lose, say 10 pounds, that's like 8% of my body weight. If I lose 10% (about 13 pounds), I'd be pretty emaciated. So, I'll commit to lose a healthy amount of weight, while rewarding the true winner of the contest. Is that ok with you guys?

And no, I"m not sending a nude picture of myself to the winner (I think that would be what Cheese would be asking for). Beer or nothing.

Edit- I'll see if I can dig up a pair of flame boxers. Cheese, that's HOT!

yooper, i think that's a overly fair offer. even on the no nude photo. i'm streile, anyway, after seeing cheese's new avatar. :D

Yooper Chick said:
I'm sorry- I'm not playing. I'll still try to lose a few, but not "officially". I will send a beer to the winner, though.

I'm not playing for only one reason- no way I can win! If I lose, say 10 pounds, that's like 8% of my body weight. If I lose 10% (about 13 pounds), I'd be pretty emaciated. So, I'll commit to lose a healthy amount of weight, while rewarding the true winner of the contest. Is that ok with you guys?

And no, I"m not sending a nude picture of myself to the winner (I think that would be what Cheese would be asking for). Beer or nothing.

Whatever you want to do is great, but it'd be cool if there was a way to make it so that you could win too. The fairest thing of all would be to calculate a loss of percentage of body fat (especially since muscle weighs more than fat), but that's hard to calculate without getting a physical. :(

Fiery Sword said:
Yea, JC, he's got a kindred torso in MA too, except mine spent some time at the Hair Club For Men.

Yours too huh? may have to take care of the winters growth before i snap a picture...................

Fiery Sword said:
yooper, i think that's a overly fair offer. even on the no nude photo. i'm streile, anyway, after seeing cheese's new avatar. :D

:off:
You just made me spit my coffee on my computer. Now, that's funny right there.....

I personally think Cheese's picture is HOT- for real. To have the body confidence to proudly pose like that is the coolest thing. Women really get turned on by confident men who are comfortable in their bodies. Also, I heard a rumor that men who love food and are a bit more um, heavier, than their ultrafit jock peers are more likely to be "giving" to us women. (I realize that this is a work/family safe forum, so that's the best way I can explain it) Therefore, the picture of Cheese is HOT.

I'm not sure I'll go so far as Cheese... but I'm dang glad Shimms finds me hot.

I've not weighed myself in recent weeks, but I'll do so tonight and post it.

I'm in

Count me in. I just weighed myself on the industrial scale at work and I'm right at 240. I'll post an ugly pic of me later tonight.

Yooper Chick said:
:off:
You just made me spit my coffee on my computer. Now, that's funny right there.....

I personally think Cheese's picture is HOT- for real. To have the body confidence to proudly pose like that is the coolest thing. Women really get turned on by confident men who are comfortable in their bodies. Also, I heard a rumor that men who love food and are a bit more um, heavier, than their ultrafit jock peers are more likely to be "giving" to us women. (I realize that this is a work/family safe forum, so that's the best way I can explain it) Therefore, the picture of Cheese is HOT.
That's right, bitches. Brad Pitt - you ain't fat! You ain't nothin. You ain't fat!

Yo, ding-dong. Ding-dog.

Excellent...it's all going according to plan. We've got lots of people signing up, and Cheese has posted a pic of himself in flaming underwear. Muahahaha!

rod said:
i thought you stated shirted - but i can expose the "great white north" tonight if you dare me:D

I did make that request, but it was all in fun and I don't really care what people do. I really just wrote it so I wouldn't have to have the level of cojones that Cheese already displayed.

Back