Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
emjay said:
I already knew of the site but there wasn't any real good side-by-side comparisons for beginners.

However, after a bit of reading, I think I'll just go with a used Gillette tech and a sample pack of blades from razorandbrush.

I really want a merkur vision, but damn that thing's expensive :D

I've got a Merkur 32c or whatever is the one that is reccomended for beginners. I bought it at a store called "The Art of Shaving." Their razor prices were in line with everyone else but you could spend a bloody fortune on their accoutrements.

Correction: 34c HD

I already knew of the site but there wasn't any real good side-by-side comparisons for beginners.

However, after a bit of reading, I think I'll just go with a used Gillette tech and a sample pack of blades from razorandbrush.

I really want a merkur vision, but damn that thing's expensive :D

the tech is a good way to get going with DE shaving. and you can find them pretty darn cheap on ebay.

as for the side-by-side comparison for razors, there's really no definitive guide that i've seen. so many minor differences between people's faces that it's hard to say what will work with any given person. but the tech and superspeeds are a good way to go first. then you can start getting into the gillette old, new & improved, and new's, then older schicks and then adjustables.. then single edges, then... ;)

actually, do consider a schick krona, i really like that one the best of my non adjustable twist-to-open razors.

All the Gillette Techs on EBay right now are trash. Don't waste your time looking. Especially the gold one that looks dang near new with the Gillette diamond on the head or the chrome British one with the maypole ribbon handle on it.

go on fleabay and search for a gillette tech, buy it, give it a good cleaning and load a cvs or walgreens DE blade in it, get yourself a tube of CO Bigelow shave cream from bath and body works and a Shea Moisture shaving brush from Target, check out youtube for how to build a good lather and give wet shaving a try, if you absolutely hate it, and are worse off for trying PM me with your total for the brush and razor and I will buying them off you. how is that for risk free?

Razor - check.
Shave brush - no bueno. How about this one instead?
http://www.target.com/p/Col-Ichabod-Conk-Rosewood-Mixed-Badger-Brush-4/-/A-13141887

I'll pick up some shave cream today when I'm out running around. Sounds like the Bay Rum stuff is awesome, too and they have it at Target.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been doing some reading about this and there are a lot of recommendations to go with a new razor. I have a 1950s Gillette Super Speed on the way from eBay, and I suppose it's a good idea to give this thing a whirl before looking to get something new.

What's the difference between all these styles with the adjustable, open comb, closed comb, etc and how do you know what will work for your face and what won't other than trial and error? Does the razor itself have that much of an impact compared to the blade style?

What's the difference between all these styles with the adjustable, open comb, closed comb, etc and how do you know what will work for your face and what won't other than trial and error? Does the razor itself have that much of an impact compared to the blade style?

Trial and error. Everyone is different and every blade is different in every razor.

Trial and error. Everyone is different and every blade is different in every razor.

Results vary from razor to razor of the same type as well, I have a few Techs that are of the same rough production range, they all shave differently, I have noticed the handles effect the performance as well when swapped from one head to another.

It is possibly due to wear, subtle damage or bending, or even production variences. I feel this is why there is no real good solution to the whole 'what is best for beginners' question

So it can get expensive when considering new razors...even the $30 models, let alone the $75-$100 razors?

There really is no need or point in getting any new ones unless you just want them. They aren't necessarily any better at all.

There really is no need or point in getting any new ones unless you just want them. They aren't necessarily any better at all.

I was just curious as the prices for some of the vintage razors on eBay approaches the prices of new razors, even Merkurs.

Seems there a collectability factor for the older razors.

Yup, that is a huge factor with many of them. It isn't unheard of for people to have dozens of razors.

I am guilty of hoarding vintage razors, one more and I am at a dozen, there are several styles and vintages I still want to get my hands on, I can see another 12 in my future easily.

yeah, it isn't exactly a cost savings in the long run... kinda like brewing in that regard. although, i think i'm at the point where i could sell the first 8-9 i collected and stick with my slim adjustable for the remainder of my life. but, hell, i already have them, so i'm gonna keep 'em. i'm still not that far into the hobby money-wise because i don't see the need for a dozen brushes (plus I make them myself) or a million creams/soaps. my addiction has been strictly razors, blades, and aftershaves.

My problem is with the creams, soaps, AS, and colognes. I have been able to keep myself mainly to samples though so far so it hasn't been too bad.

I need to find/make a razor stand that can hold a brush or 2 and perhaps 6 razors.

Tough to find something like that.

I have seen some nice 2 and 4 ones but never much over that. I did see that apparently a fountain pen holder works pretty well and they make those over 6.

I just spoke with Jason at ClassicShaving.com and he recommended putting my money into a quality brush before anything else. After a brush, spend money on quality shaving cream/soaps, then blades, then the actual razor.

I'm not looking to save money over other forms of shaving. I want a shave that doesn't leave me butchered or with ingrown hairs.

I just don't want to drop $300 to get started like you apparently can in a heartbeat with a $150 brush and $180 razor.

I have also heard pipe racks work as well, I need to look into it a bit more, possibly get a seperate brush stand instead of trying to find an all-in-one.

I just spoke with Jason at ClassicShaving.com and he recommended putting my money into a quality brush before anything else. After a brush, spend money on quality shaving cream/soaps, then blades, then the actual razor.

I'm not looking to save money over other forms of shaving. I want a shave that doesn't leave me butchered or with ingrown hairs.

I just don't want to drop $300 to get started like you apparently can in a heartbeat with a $150 brush and $180 razor.

I would actually really recommend the complete opposite. The just told you everything in the order from most expensive to least. The razor and the blade are the most important part and there are some really cheap soaps out there that work great.

I have also heard pipe racks work as well, I need to look into it a bit more, possibly get a seperate brush stand instead of trying to find an all-in-one.

Unless you built one I don't think you will be able to find an all in one.

I am still using my Shea Moisture brush, it has gotten good reviews on a few shave forums for a good starter brush, for the price it cant be beat, I think I got started for 20-25 dollars total, I used a rice bowl from goodwill as a lather bowl, a puck of VDH soap, the above mentioned brush, my 9 dollar Tech and Walgreens blades. I am well over that $$ now, but it got me started in something that I find I really enjoy.

Here's the razor I got:
514360930_tp.jpg

I'm pumped to give this a try. I'm hoping everything I need is here by this weekend. I have 4 days off to see if I can get a good shave without a trip to the hospital for a blood transfusion.

I got started for cheap and still prefer my Omega Boar brush over the badgers I have. The Omega was $9 or $14 I can't remember... The badgers started at $40.

And the biggest thing with shaving---- What works well for one face won't work for another. I gave a single edged razor to my brother who loves the thing but it just hurt my face too much. We have very similar beards and skin so its just crazy what one prefers to another.

Here's the razor I got:
514360930_tp.jpg

I'm pumped to give this a try. I'm hoping everything I need is here by this weekend. I have 4 days off to see if I can get a good shave without a trip to the hospital for a blood transfusion.

sweet, that looks like a nice pick up. let us know how it goes.

And I thought this one looked too nice to let go with no one bidding on it:
$%28KGrHqF,%21jME6EOfyWHkBOohIlr6R%21%7E%7E60_3.JPG

I'm not buying anything else until it all gets here and I try it out. A brush is on its way, the razors, picked up two packs of CVS blades today (buy one get one 50% off), and a tube of Proraso and Col Conk Bay Rum shave soap.

Anyone want a boar brush from a VDH kit? I bought the kit for the soap and bowl hoping I would like the brush. I don't. I feel bad sending to anyone who isn't planning on chipping paint with it, but it's up for grabs.

I'm not buying anything else until it all gets here and I try it out. A brush is on its way, the razors, picked up two packs of CVS blades today (buy one get one 50% off), and a tube of Proraso and Col Conk Bay Rum shave soap.

another nice one, now you got the tech and the superspeed. both good starters and solid performers.

That looks to be an early Gillette Tech, it looks like the slots are triangular rather than rectangular, I have a few of these and as I have stated before they are my go-to razor, just behind them is my 1911 ABC razor, fantastic shaves!

So are those slots triangular?

Something that struck me when my first one arrived was how small they looked, almost toy-like, did you think that it looked rather small as well or was it just me?

That looks to be an early Gillette Tech, it looks like the slots are triangular rather than rectangular, I have a few of these and as I have stated before they are my go-to razor, just behind them is my 1911 ABC razor, fantastic shaves!

So are those slots triangular?

Something that struck me when my first one arrived was how small they looked, almost toy-like, did you think that it looked rather small as well or was it just me?

eBay ad claims it's a 1938 with the triangular slots. The Super Speed is allegedly a 1950s. I did think they had an almost strange look to them once they were in the hands in videos on YouTube. I think it's because the blade head is perpendicular to the handle and we're used to them being in line these days. The travel razors look extremely small. Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-196...720?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bf7bd2e8

I think it's awesome that a razor that's nearly 75 years old is going to continue to make smooth faces. I'm not a huge fan of antiques, but there are some things, like military surplus firearms and now razors, that are awesome. Old cars and motorcycles are sweet, too. I have some fishing reels from the 1950s that I really like as well.

Remember the deal, any time you want out, I will gladly buy you out on those razors, but like many others, you will find that newer isnt better, and if anything like me you will come to actually enjoy the time alotted to shaving.

Remember the deal, any time you want out, I will gladly buy you out on those razors, but like many others, you will find that newer isnt better, and if anything like me you will come to actually enjoy the time alotted to shaving.

I'll probably come to enjoy it more when I don't have a 90 minute drive to work and back every day. Only a few more months...

Shaving the old fashioned way is more a meditative experience than a utilitarian experience. Before I started shaving with a straight it was a chore that I did because I had to. Now it is a relaxing experience that I feel refreshed and energized after. It is worth the time and effort in my opinion and as you get better at it you get faster... just keep a styptic pencil handy.

jtkratzer said:

If you already won that Tech, damn you!! :D I'm going to try and find a nice one.

Just for the heck of it though, I'd really like to find a '55 razor.

azscoob said:

Don't worry, I won't forget the deal. ;)

It's still available even if I buy a brand new Merkur Vision, right? :D That one looks awesome and sounds perfect.

Oh, and what kind of blades do you use? I'm probably just going to buy a sampler from WestCoast or razorandbrush, but haven't decided on exactly what yet.

CHefJohnboyardee said:
Just save yourself the trouble and time and get the everything under the sun sampler ;)

Hah. I thought about it, but I realized it'd probably be a year before I'd be done with the sampler, and I'd kind of like to get things settled in a bit more quickly than that :) So I figured l'd try a smaller sample pack of some of the more popular and more varied blades (eg, Derbies seem to be on the other end of the spectrum from Feathers), and hopefully some of the ones that are personally recommended and/or are people's favorites.

Back